_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
INput needed
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 754 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 10:58 PM UTC
Hi guys

I'm having a bit of trouble picking my next project. I was thinking about doing Tamiya's Matilda MKII . I know that it is a older kit [like much of Mr Tamiya's catolog] but how bad of a kit is it ?
Another idea I had was doing a M-51. To that end I was over at the Hometown Hobbies site last night, and low and behold there are two kits of the M-51. One is from Dragon, I'm not sure who has the other. Other than the price and the box art, what are the differences ?
Thanks guys
Harry
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 12:34 AM UTC
The other M51 is most likely the Academy kit. Pretty good from what I hear and would be an easier build.
slynch1701
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 290 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 02:53 AM UTC
The other most likely is the Academy one. overall a decent kit. It does have a few flaws. The worst is the the mantlet cover. This comes in 2 pieces that aren't the same size. Needs some big work to fix it. The muzzle break is over sized (though Ive read that the DML is undersized). The model has surface texture that is overdone.

There are articles that tell what need to be done to make it the correct batch number for the correct area. As is this model builds into a batch 4 or maybe 3.

Here is a start to some links
http://idfmodelling.free.fr/article05.html
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 754 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 06:34 AM UTC
Hi guys

Thanks for the replys. I've always been a huge fan of the Sherman family of tanks. It's hard not to love a tank that has serve in one form or another for over 60 years. So the M-51 it is. Many many ideas with this. Maybe a Golan Heights { man I hope I spelled that right} dio.
Thanks again guys
Harry
 _GOTOTOP