_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Track Assembly - Tiger I
Ladoga
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2006 - 06:23 AM UTC
Now started building German Tiger I Tank (mid production). This kit from Tamiya. Scale 1/35 Military Miniature Series NO.194. Will soon add pictures to my profile showing my construction site and tank.

Would like to learn a good trick or two on how to assemble the tracks and install on tank with the least problems. Each track consists of 100 pieces and for me this is quite a challenge as a beginner.

Any help is much appreciated. You can answer me either in English or French.

Best regards.

François
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,339 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2006 - 06:46 AM UTC
Francois
Do them in lenghts of ten or fifteen links. This will make them easier to handle. Do the bottom run first, build it up untill you have to work them around the drive and idler sprokets. Then take a piece of tape sticky side up. Build a run with enough links to go around the drive sproket. glue them and wait a few minutes to let the glue set up.. Use the glue sparingly. Attatch the bottom run of track to the tape lenght. Now wrap the taped lenght around the sproket. Set the sag and let it set up. Do the same for the back. Once they have set up, you can do the top run of track. Hope this makes sense...

Dave
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 757 posts
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2006 - 11:02 AM UTC
i just got the early tiger 1 by academy, thanks for the tip........................

reb
Ladoga
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 06:05 PM UTC
Good morning Dave ! Thanks for the tip... all this makes sense to me. Not quite ready to go ahead because I still have some camouflage paint to do before I start the tracks. My wife told me I always "start big" :-), but then I told myself if I can build this tank then I can build anything. I've also come up with the idea of doing the Zimmerit coating using indoor latex caulking... and it works. Soon I will add photos for everyone to see how I did it. Stay tuned and thanks for the help Pal.

François

Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,412 posts
Armorama: 1,174 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 03:13 AM UTC
Hey francois, i posted how i do it in you introductory, so take a look there

Frank
 _GOTOTOP