_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M3 Stuart "Honey"
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 09:51 AM UTC
Hi guys, I know this has been discussed before, but I didn't have much luck with the forum search function, so I would like to know what tweaks need to be made to make a fair representation of this tank. As I understand, there are some inaccuracies with the interior, such as the turret basket. What needs to be removed and what needs to be added to this thing? I intend to make the M3 OOTB.

Thanks,

Nic
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 939 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 11:19 AM UTC
HI Nic

The Honey interior is completely different. AFVInteriors have photos, and I have some if you need them.

The kit interior is for the M3A1. The turret basket needs to be removed. Then, the gun crutch etc. are the wrong way round (again, a later setup is in the kit). The commander sat in a sling, or stood on the ammo bins. The ammo bins were boxlike, with padded tops. The tranny cover was padded. The fire extinguisher goes on the opposite side from that indicated in the instructions. There was a lot more stuff on the rear wall, and the radio needs to go in a different spot. The sponson covers are too thick, and need the bolts removed. The radio (wireless ) went in one of the sponsons (starboard if I recall correctly, but I don't have my references handy). I haven't worked on my Honey for a couple of months. The interior will require that I develop better scratchbuilding skills than I now have! That is, I have to learn to do more than make a rack or strap!!

The turret walls have no interior detail at all, and lots of stuff should be there. I plan to have a crew in place, so I'll only need to build part of it.

The fenders/skirts are a lady to assemble cleanly. Terry Ashley's site has a nice review of the kit describing the problems with the wheels.

It's all a question of how AMS you are going to go!!

Happy Holidays
Andy
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 11:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I intend to make the M3 OOTB.

Thanks,

Nic

To do this accurately oob, I think you'd have to button her up. Under most situations, you could remove the basket, or leave it out , remove the bolts and thin the sponson covers and still qualify for oob, but once you start with adding bits and pieces, you really are out of the oob classes.
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,318 posts
Armorama: 837 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 02:13 PM UTC
I found this site researching my M3A1. It helped me, hopefully it will give you some ideas.
http://www.armourinfocus.co.uk/afva.htm

Patrick
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 02:20 PM UTC
Great site Patrick. Thanks for the URL.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 06:44 PM UTC
Thanks for the information guys. I certainly do not intend to go berserk on this thing, I just want to have some fun with it. Major differences will certainly be changed, but other than that, I will be fine with how it is. It really is a nice looking kit to those not Stuart experts, so it should be an easy build. For what it's worth, one review I found said the sponson covers provided (square ones with bolts) are accurate for some early Honeys.

Nic
 _GOTOTOP