_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: WWII Soviet Armor
For discussions related to WW2 era Soviet armor.
MOM - Trumpeter KV1, Model 1941
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 05:28 AM UTC
Hello Chaps
Havent been on here much lately because of work and home commitments. However, I still had a little time over to get some modelling done. This is Trumpeters KV1, small turret ,model 1941. Its built OOB. Figure is from Tristars "Russian tank crew" set. The cobblestones are latex from Kincali, glued to a thin sheet of cork.
As usual any comments or critic are welcome.

Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 970 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 05:38 AM UTC
Like her a lot Frank, what colour have you used for the hull? Really must get started on my KV-1...
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 05:39 AM UTC
Frank, the second and third pics really show the weathering off nicely on this one. Care to share how you weathered this KV?

Steve
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 06:13 AM UTC
Very nice Frank your weathering is amazing and i like fact that you diplayed the tank on something other than dirt.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 07:07 AM UTC
Your KV1 is sure looking big and beefy
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2006 - 05:36 PM UTC
Thanks for much for the nice comments guys. To answer some of your questions.

Quoted Text

what colour have you used for the hull

The model was sprayed mostly with Tamiya colours ... first red-brown, then black in recesses. The main colour was olive green and then a lightened version of this ... some buff was added ... was sprayed in the middle of panels to show fading. To tie this alltogether, a well thinned Vallejo (model air) "russian green" was sprayed over this. Really nice colour for Russian vehicles!

Quoted Text

Care to share how you weathered this KV?

The whole tank was drybrushed with a very faded olive green (Humbrols) and then pin washes to pop details. The dry brush colour was mixed with steel andthe peaks were drybrushed again. This was all sprayed over again with some very thinned filters, so it looks natural. Greens and dark browns humbrols were used for this ... thinned with humbrols own enamel thinner.
A pastel wash was added to corners to show some dust build up (thinned with isopropynol), and then, a make-up brush was used to powder the whole model with dry pastels, and rub it in. This got a an overspray of matt cote, going slightly heavier in the panel middles to almost remove the pastels again ... this leaves a quite natural dust along sides and edges. Mud was made with grout, static grass, white glue, sand and pastels for colour. This was added with a small brush and blended in with dry pastels. I went over edges and metal areas with a pencil to give back some of the metallic feel.

Quoted Text

i like fact that you diplayed the tank on something other than dirt.

That was exactly my thought also ... and I didnt want to spend too much time on the base. The Kincali items are excellent for saving time and look great painted up.

Quoted Text

Your KV1 is sure looking big and beefy

Unfortunately, I started this before the campaign started so was unable to enter it!
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,264 posts
Armorama: 1,763 posts
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2006 - 05:41 PM UTC
Amazing work Frank. I see also that you will be going to the IMPS in Stockholm. See you there.
mikado
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 329 posts
Armorama: 254 posts
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 06:13 AM UTC
Hi Frank,

I am working on my KV1 now for the B&B campaign....Yours is fantastic....wish I have half of your painting skill...

This is a Inspirational piece for me to get my KV1 moving.......
 _GOTOTOP