_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
IFOR/KFOR M9 ACE
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 03:00 PM UTC
I'm looking for photos of the M9 ACE while in serice in IFOR or KFOR. Looking for vechicles esp from 23rd Engineers from 1st Armored Division. Go figure I had large number of them in a motorpool that the INF company I was sharing with and I don't have one good shot of the Markings on them
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2002 - 10:26 PM UTC
I saw several pics of IFOR M9s in "The Peacekeepers GUide to the Balkans, Vol 1". I have no idea if this is even available outside this region (I would guess it is, but don't know where). Hope this helps.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 12:00 AM UTC
SED, have a look here: Bosnia Photos ...maybe?

...here: 23rd Engineers of Freiburg
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 06:34 AM UTC
Sorry Kenc, but that's not an M9. That is a Panther mine-clearing vehicle. It is basically a remote control M60 hull with a mine roller mounted on the front. They were used early on in Bosnia to clear and proof routes through areas suspected to be mined. I didn't see any M9 pics on the archive listing you provided, but there are a lot of good HMMWV and Bradley pics. I'll work on getting some scans, if I can.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 06:43 AM UTC
I know that there are no pics of the M9 ACE, I thought maybe he could pull markings from the ARV there, which is from the 23rd Engineers of the 1st AD.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2002 - 03:33 PM UTC
Alas:

ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 02:47 AM UTC
A couple of details to point out:

Since all of these vehicles were stationed in Europe before being sent to Bosnia, they all carry the red and yellow width markers on the rear. Where they are located depends on the vehicle. You can see them in a couple of Kenc's photos.

The square, ridged panel on the sides and back of each vehicle is actually a recognition panel. These panels are actually a zig-zag piece of fiberglass in a frame. They stay cool, and so appear as a black square through thermal sights. If a target has a black square, it is not a target, it is friendly! These are fairly common in the European units, especially armor and mech infantry battalions/brigades. They are never covered with anything (gear, canvas, etc.), because they don't work if they are.

Dunno if this is worth anything, but there you go....
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 03:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Since all of these vehicles were stationed in Europe before being sent to Bosnia, they all carry the red and yellow width markers on the rear. Where they are located depends on the vehicle. You can see them in a couple of Kenc's photos.

Those are called Military Vehicle Delineators or MVDs. Basically a big reflective sticker made by 3M, sometimes affixed directly to the vehicle, other times they were mounted on a piece of sheet metal and that was mounted to the vehicle. IIRC they came in a couple of sizes and sometimes were mounted on the mudflaps of larger military trucks.
 _GOTOTOP