_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
BTR-ZD
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 10:38 PM UTC
Hi all,
I'm looking for pics of this BMD variant. I browsed the web and found some B&W pics in a site dedicated to the Chechnya conflict but unfortunately nothing more.

I'm more interested in the way the ZU23-2 is mounted on the BTR-D. On some pics the wheels are still there, on other they have been removed. It seems that the gun mount is just tied sown to the vehicle brackets and eyelets with ropes or cables.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
TIA
olivier
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2006 - 07:05 AM UTC
Hiya Olivier,

My research stated that the ZS-23-2 was initially just put on top of the vehcile and the round/toothed "feet" was able to keep it on the vehicle fine with care when driving. Later mods included welding the "legs" to the top of the vehcile...there may have even been a factory issued kit for this. These setups had the wheels removed as they were not going to be redeployed on the ground.

However, photo-graphic evidence is hard to come by...
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2006 - 01:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hiya Olivier,

My research stated that the ZS-23-2 was initially just put on top of the vehcile and the round/toothed "feet" was able to keep it on the vehicle fine with care when driving. Later mods included welding the "legs" to the top of the vehcile...there may have even been a factory issued kit for this. These setups had the wheels removed as they were not going to be redeployed on the ground.

However, photo-graphic evidence is hard to come by...

Hi Jacques,
you're right pics are pretty rare to find. Here are what I managed to get, no close-ups but they confirm what you write about the "feet" resting on top of the armor.

http://filin.benutzer.ru/chechnya

You'll have to scroll down before finding the pics.
I read on PMMS that Alanger intended to release a kit of both BTR-ZD and RD. No more news since that announce so I decided to do mine from Eastern Express BTR-D and Azimut/Scale ZU23-2.

I guess I'll do the first variant with the AA mount resting on the roof and tied down with ropes ! Unless some friendly member gets more pictural information.

olivier
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2006 - 09:15 PM UTC
Here is the clearest picture I have of another mount...the ZS mounted on posts. This is also seen in the Chechnya pictures, so maybe this is the most commen variant?

There are also pictures of the ZS further back on the deck without the posts or tie down cables. I think you could be as lazy as you wanted!
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2006 - 11:09 PM UTC
Thanks Jacques,
this one is good. I wouldn't like to be the gunner while on the move ! It would be the best way to get seasickness.

I guess this is the most common way of fitting the ZU mount. It resembles the mounting on the MT-LB. I'll certainly build something like that.

ACE have announced this kit in 1/72. As soon as it is issued, I'll check their gallery for more pics.

olivier
 _GOTOTOP