Berlin 1945: Dio pics
Simon
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 878 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2006 - 02:40 PM UTC
Hi there

Here's my (last) pictures of my current project for the Berlin Campaign. I decided to post it here in the Diorama-forum and not in the Berlin Campaign thread to get as many to se it as possible, also because the dio aint finish yet. Officially that is.

My problem is: What do you think of the amount of rubble? Taking into consideration that there should be room enogh for the figures (perhaps I could loose one), would you recommend me adding more rubble and debris, or is it sufficient as it is now?
I thank you for your help in advance.

Anyway: I hope you like my work, and I'll appreciate any comment, critique, idea, tips and such. Thanks for looking.

dvs911
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 64 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2006 - 02:55 PM UTC
It looks really good. I think you might want to think about moving the standing figure. It seems like he is out of place. I do think that the rubble looks good.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2006 - 09:31 PM UTC
I would consider bending either the street sign or lamp post.
Fusilier
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2006 - 10:10 PM UTC
Looks fine to me with regards to rubble (it all looks fine) but...being an urban setting I would add some trash... litter.

Great job!

John
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 05:54 AM UTC
Very nice. Eiven the small amount of space, I'd still add a lot more rubble. That looks like a muti-story building that has been damaged all the way down to the first floor, and will accordingly need more debris.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 05:54 AM UTC
Very nice. Given the small amount of space, I'd still add a lot more rubble. That looks like a muti-story building that has been damaged all the way down to the first floor, and will accordingly need more debris.
Simon
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 878 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 06:49 PM UTC
Hi there

Thanks for your replies. First of all, I'm glad you like my work.

I will add some more debris and litter. As remarked it is a multi-story building so more debris is needed and will be added.

As for the standing figure; I think I'll place him inside the building right next to the door.

Lastly the lamppost and sign: Yes, they wouldn't have survived without some damage. I'll damage them

Again thanks for your help and remarks.

Simon
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 07:35 PM UTC
Very evocative of a desperate street fight, figures looking in several directions.
I like the mix of figures as well.

From looking at pictures of modern and WWII urban combat, as well as the urban debris from hurricanes and tornados, I have a couple of observations.

To my eye, it looks like there is too much open space near and in the buildings.

I would suggest lots more little brick/concrete rubble,
Cat box litter sized and slightly larger.
This does not have to be expensive aftermarket hobby realted stuff, but there are several low cost, high volume options. A thin sheet of plaster (cast into a cookie sheet and then hit with a hammer), or styrofoam board insulation (called blueboard in the states) cut and chunked into pieces. These are expecially useful for building up large areas to height , then covering with smaller rubble.

Much more wood litter as well.
Shredded balsa sheets and beams, coffee stirrers, etc.

Broken glass everywhere.
Either the hard plastic sheets that many toys come packaged in or actual glass in the form of microscope cover slips. These are hard to glue into place, but add a very real look.

More paper trash as well.
Printable miniature wallpaper, newspapers, carpet, even just modern manila or newsprint paper stained brown w coffee.
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Armorama: 1,458 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 08:35 PM UTC
Very nice dio going on there,Simon.I agree with the others for improvements.As far as debris,I can suggest using Teflon pipe thread tape for shards of fabric such as curtains or clothing.It takes enamel paints well and glues to itself with CA as well as to other materials.
cheers!
 _GOTOTOP