_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Uses for the FAMO
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 04:16 AM UTC
I got the FAMO with trailer for Christmas so I need to know some stuff about this vehicle. Why would a FAMO be towing a StuG on a trailer? Would it have to be broke down or would it be for reinforcements, etc?

Thanks,

Nic
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 04:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Would it have to be broke down or would it be for reinforcements, etc?

Nic:

Either one is a correct choice.

When AFVs have to move under their own power for very far, they wear out very fast and suck up tons of fuel. It's much faster and cheaper to move an AFV on a transporter from Point A to Point B than to try to drive the AFV the distance.

When you see an AFV on a transporter, it may be a replacement vehicle being delivered to a unit, it may be a broken-down vehicle being recovered/fixed vehicle being returned, or it may simply be a vehicle being moved from one position to another.

Good question.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 06:10 AM UTC
When I read the topic, I assumed it would be something like this:

1. Large box to serve as a base for smaller kit boxes to be stacked in in the closet.
2. Booster seat for children to sit at the dining room table.
3. Financial investment where you buy something for $80 and sell it on eBay for $70.
4. Maintain ownership so you can claim to have a WW2 German model kit (for us non-WW2 German builders--I have a couple of Tamiya Tiger tanks for that reason )
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 07:44 AM UTC
Sorry to disappoint, Sabot

Thanks for the answer Bob. I will be putting the Tamiya StuG IIIG on the trailer I have decided, which leads me to another question that should probably have its own topic, but I'll try here first anyway. I don't have to put zimmerit on this do I? And what if I make it a StuH III with the 10.5cm howitzer?

Nic
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 08:36 AM UTC
If you build your Stug III as an early one you are fine without zimmerit....same for the 105 but watch out for the decals for the 105 in the box are for a mid without the bolted on armour but with out zimmerit too...

Rick
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 01:20 PM UTC
so you want to build a stug? i'd say go get your books, the public library is a great source, and as far as zimmerit is concerned thats up to you. i've seen stugs through out production with and without it. so its up to you, enjoy stug
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 01:32 PM UTC
AND,
If it is a replacement vehicle,it can have very little wear.But,if it is being towed for repair,don't be afraid to damage it a bit...
I have 3 famos.1 with stowage in back.
#2 With the spade add on.
#3 came with the trailer kit.
So,I am going to build a dio,with 2 of them recovering a Pz.Kpfw.III Beobachtungswagen,which suffered roadwheel damage from a mine...
Photos soon.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2002 - 06:42 AM UTC
Okay, I have another question. Could there be crewmembers standing in the StuG on the trailer while they're moving it or would they all be outside the AFV?

Nic
Tanks46
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2002 - 08:15 AM UTC
Hi Nic. Butch Cassidy here. Happy Holidays! This is the third time I am trying to get this to you! As to your question about crew riding in a trailered AFV I would think there would have been an official policy against it. However, under battle conditions and in several references I have seen numerous pictures showing either the AFV crew riding the vehicle of members of the FAMO crew. A excellent reference is FAMO 18t a Military Machine series book by Stefan Konig. I just finished a FAMO 18t with the Sd.Anh 116 trailer in resin 1/87th by Military depot. I modeled it circa 1940 France. I have not decided on what vehicle to trailer so I have been floating it in my display case! Hoipe this helps. Tanks46.

Quoted Text

Under a good general there are no bad soldiers.

Der Sonntag Bund.
 _GOTOTOP