_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Sponsors Frame Column Suggestion
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 02:48 PM UTC
Hey Jim,

I ask this more out of curiousity than anything else but in the interest of saving bandwidth wherever possible, wouldnt it have made sense to place the sponsor ads in a frame (wrapper in CMS terms) rather than a module thats visible on every page? Each click that a member clicks on here (ie: forum) results in a reload of the page thereby consuming more bandwidth per person. With an average of about 300 - 400 members a day in here, im sure that equates to quite a substantial amount of bandwidth. With a frame, thats effectively loaded once but visible throughout the site. It also does save loading time for members viewing the site seeing as they dont have to keep retrieving the image from the server.

You could argue that most rely on the cache copy but for those of us who have place our browser setting to check for new versions on every visit, it would give the server quite a hammering wouldnt it?

Do correct me if im wrong though.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 07:32 PM UTC
Jeremy,
You are not wrong. But I loathe frames.

Also framed pages are very easy to disable thus rendering the advertising moot.

Also our ads are now driven off an entirely separate server so their "load" is not really affecting how fast the main site loads in any way. Bandwidth from the ads is actually low as well. It's the bigger images that get us there.

Cheers,
Jim
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 07:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You are not wrong. But I loathe frames.

My spidey sense kinda told me that before reading your reply but i thought i would check anyway. Fair enough though and yeah you are quite right, frames can be easily disabled.

Thanks for the response.
 _GOTOTOP