_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Bleaching OD
BornToDig
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 345 posts
Armorama: 311 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 02:27 PM UTC
Any recommendations on making an OD finish look sun bleached? Looking through various galleries online I've seen OD finishes that look almost yellow up top. How do I achieve this look? Any other tips on dessert whethering as well?

Ralph
ponysoldier
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 223 posts
Armorama: 110 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 02:45 PM UTC
Digger

Im not sure about bleaching you can achieve this by using a very thin wash,
the wash should be almost transparent . You can use a q-tip to wash the area,
you should use 8-9 washes letting each wash dry completly before the next.
Give it a try.

Ponysoldier

The Horse TheGun The Man
Desert-Fox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 652 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 11:04 PM UTC
drybrushing successively lighter shades of olive drab, should do the trick
barron
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 598 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2002 - 12:51 AM UTC
You can mix a little white in the olive drab and lightly spray the high points with it with you airbrush. Polly S paints used to make a great olive drab paint that looked faded after it dried.
SGT_Fubar
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 168 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2002 - 01:15 AM UTC
I just tried a different way of airbrushing and I liked the results. I sprayed the tank an overall lighter color and then instead of highlighting I used a darker shade in the resessed areas. So it is kind of doing it backwards. The effect was pretty interesting and unique. But it looked like a very battle weary sun bleached panzer.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2002 - 01:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I just tried a different way of airbrushing and I liked the results. I sprayed the tank an overall lighter color and then instead of highlighting I used a darker shade in the resessed areas. So it is kind of doing it backwards. The effect was pretty interesting and unique. But it looked like a very battle weary sun bleached panzer.

That is a great idea. can you provide pictures of your efforts? (:-)
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2002 - 05:42 AM UTC
What I do for OD finishes is start off with tamiya's OD and slowly add tamiya buff to the paint and spray inside the panels each time adding more and more buff to the mix...You'll be amazed at how this effect brings things to life...Secret is to use the fine tip on your airbrush and dilute your paint up to 25% paint and 75% thinner ....make sure your nozzel is almost closed and that it takes at least 3 or 4 passes with the airbrush before you even notice a change in the color ...It can take me 3 or 4 hours for a kit in 1/35 scale but I find it worth it ...Try it you 'll like it!!!
Good luck
Rick
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2002 - 05:52 AM UTC

I will add to my base OD color some dark yellow or some white. Then I will overspray this in the areas I wish to be more faded. Often I will use a bit of both in different amounts. Then during a drybrushing, use lightned versions of your base color.

Steve
azizmaz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 174 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2002 - 06:11 AM UTC
Preshade with flat black then spray your OD letting the black show through in the recceses. then lighten the OD with with yellow starting in the middle of panels working out to edges with your airbrush. Their is an airticle in this forum about preshading. I tried it for the first time awhile back and belive me it really works.
 _GOTOTOP