_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
The Essence of Modeling
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 01:25 AM UTC
Armor Modelers---Normally, if I posed a question like the one I am about to post, I would place it in the General Forum. Bear with me, for the opinion of tankers is valued over those lowly journeyman who labor with battleship (yuck) and those flying contraptions. Thus, my fellow Tankers, my question addresses the essence of modeling---the perfect paint job. To attain that end, I imagine you possess a reliable air brush and compressor. I have an airbrush and compressor now approaching the 25 year mark. Time to ask Mommy to get me one for my birthday. Question knowing the basics of airbrushing, single and double action, etc, what do you recommend for a worthy airbrush and compressor combination? Where can you get it and at what cost?
Thanks
DJ
Chappy_ju87
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 146 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 02:01 AM UTC
If you want to go cheap and reliable go with the Paasche VLS.....Its built like a tank
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 02:05 AM UTC
Sir--where would one find this instrumentality and at what cost?
danke
DJ :-)
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 02:07 AM UTC
DJ, I hear tell of a big ass compressor available at finer retail establishments such as Wal-Mart. This compressor has its own tank and runs about $99, apparently it only makes noise when filling and then as you airbrush using the tank there is no loud noise, thus allowing you to hear every word your better half makes.
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 02:17 AM UTC
If it's a quality double action air-brush you need try the Iwata SC3. Lovely for my first and approx £90-£110. And it is idiot proof to clean as well! Multiple Paint containers from gravity cups through to containers and soon it will come with a comfy Rubber trigger Guard for even greater control!
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 03:34 AM UTC
Rob--any idea on the brand name of the compressor. Would a modification be necessary to put the air hose for brush on it?
thanks
DJ
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 03:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If it's a quality double action air-brush you need try the Iwata SC3. Lovely for my first and approx £90-£110. And it is idiot proof to clean as well! Multiple Paint containers from gravity cups through to containers and soon it will come with a comfy Rubber trigger Guard for even greater control!

Marek--many thanks for the lead. I will certainly check it out.
DJ
tankshack
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 03:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Question knowing the basics of airbrushing, single and double action, etc, what do you recommend for a worthy airbrush and compressor combination? Where can you get it and at what cost?
Thanks
DJ

DJ,
I am currently using two different Paasche brushes -
VSR 90 - gravity feed, double action, internal mix, .20mm needle and ultra fine tip.
Millenium - siphon feed, double action, internal mix, both fine and medium needles and tips

In addition, I use an ordinary diaphragm compressor.

The latest hot compressor that all the newsgroup are buzzing about is the Campbell-Hausfield.

I am currently doing demos with both of these brushes at the Olde Towne Hobbyshop on Saturdays from 10-5. You can stop in and try them out if you like.

If you have no budget constraints, I would recommend an Iwata. Andrew D. posted a very nice review/summary of all the benefits of each model on missing-lynx.

Later,
Tim
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 08:37 PM UTC
Tim--I will surely take advantage of your kind invitation. I also want tp pepper you with questions on paint mix ratios and cleaning between applicaions.
thanks
DJ :-)
 _GOTOTOP