_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Help needed with indy tracks
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 1,148 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 08:26 PM UTC
I need some help here. I go crazy putting together indy tracks. I know that there are several posts on how to do it correctly but I always screw them up anyway. Can someone give me some advice on a particular kit that has indy's that go together easily and look good when done. I am not talking about aftermarket but what is included in the kit OOB. Just trying to build my own confidence on working with them so I am not limited to buying kits that have rubberbands anymore!

On a side note, has anyone used the "clickable" tracks made by some manufacturers? I would like to know before shelling out additional cash on them.

Thanks in advance.
Mark
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 08:50 PM UTC
Mark,

The DML Jadgpanther tracks went together quick. I would recommend you try that kit. They are big enough to not be too fiddly.

Shaun
garyj36
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 163 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 09:12 PM UTC
Most everyone has a method , but heres how I do Pz III / IV tracks,I use this basswood fixture white glued together. When you glue the two side peices together , compress a link , guide horn down on each end and center. That way the guide horns will slide "stiffly" along the track , but not fall out. Make it from wood so the solvent glue wont bond to the fixture. Add a bumper to the rear and you can nudge the links together as you add pieces. You can make it "3 or '3 . Either way , its cheap and effective. Gary
garyj36
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 163 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 09:20 PM UTC
Btw, I also used a sanded to thickness piece of basswood to assemble dual guidhorn Panther tracks so that the guidehorns wedged on either side of the wood. Worked the same way. I also put a stop on the end. Put glue on where next link attaches put that link against the stop, repeat on next link and join to previous link on fixtore. Nudge against cleat toward bumper. Repeat over and over. After an hour or so. Flip over and nudge assembly off, pushing downward with a ruler along the length. Assembly should stay together, but be uncured enough to wrap around sprocket and wheels
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 1,148 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 11:59 PM UTC
Shaun, does the Jadgpanther need zimm or is it ok without it?

Gary, I like the jig you have there-I may have to give that a try as well.

Thanks guys
pod123
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 187 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 12:57 AM UTC
i just made the same jig using two plastic i beams and a flat piece of plastic same principal as above total cost about £1.20 and what a brillant idea dead easy after making the jig
 _GOTOTOP