_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
IPMS/AMPS????
Chappy_ju87
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 146 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 02:12 AM UTC
Does anyone know of another IPMS or AMPS chapter in northern Ohio, getting real tired of mine....it is all about money with this club and NOT about the hobby
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
Armorama: 401 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 02:16 AM UTC
Hey Chappy,
Go to the IPMS homepage and look under the chapters section. You may find what your looking for. They sometimes list a chapter contact with a phone number. I hope this helps some. Happy hunting.
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 02:17 AM UTC
Chappy,
I don't know about an AMPS chapter in your area, check this link for possibly another IPMS chapter.
http://www.ipmsusa.org/Chapters_1.html
This will lead you to a listing by state.
As for AMPS, whichever IPMS chapter you end up with, get with the armor guys and start your own AMPS chapter.
HTH
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 02:55 AM UTC
AMPS home page is www.amps-armor.org
Chappy_ju87
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 06:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As for AMPS, whichever IPMS chapter you end up with, get with the armor guys and start your own AMPS chapter.

I thought about that but not so sure I would have the time or not. Does any of your guys(and lady) clubs have demonstrations or anything like that??? I have been in this club for like 3 years and they have never had anything like that.
Chappy_ju87
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 06:38 AM UTC
Thanks for the links, I checked them out....closest AMPS is 130 miles....closest IPMS is about 30 miles(other than my current club which is about 5 miles)...but thanks anyways everybody
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 06:53 AM UTC
O.K....open question to the group. Having not really been an armour modeling web 'surfer' till I found this site. When I was looking around for armour modeling sites I wandered into, or should I say, tried to wander into Missing Links. The site was down for quite awhile. Then when I finally was able to visit the site it looked O.K., pretty good.
I just linked over there just now and boom! Is it my imagination, or have they done some 'facelifting' over there? Hmmm, I guess when there's another site out there (hint,hint)
that is head & shoulders above you, you need to do something to hang onto your membership.

Tread.

Hope you're listening Jim
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
Armorama: 401 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 07:11 AM UTC
Well Chappy, There aren't that many in my IPMS club, but we have done a few displays and some of the members took turns watching over the display case. We are going to have another display in a couple of weeks at a local Ford dealership. One reason we are doing it is because NASCAR is in town (Bristol), and There's 180,000 extra poeple besides the ones how already live there. We are sured to have some ask about IPMS and our club.
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 09:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I thought about that but not so sure I would have the time or not. Does any of your guys(and lady) clubs have demonstrations or anything like that??? I have been in this club for like 3 years and they have never had anything like that

Chappy ----OK, AMPS first-our group, Central Virginia AMPS, first started meeting in the summer of 97, on one of the guys decks outside. Progressed to inside the house as the weather got cold. The organizer of the whole mess, John Robinson, tracked down a library that would let us use one of their meeting rooms. We pay no dues, but we have taken up a collection to forward the the armor museum in Northern Virginia to help them restore an M10 TD. Usually one of the members will give a demo, or a review on a kit they have built or just bought. Most of this group realize that you have to participate to keep it going.

IPMS - that is another story. Our chapter has been around since 1978. I hve been a member since 1995. At that time we would have approx 35 show up for the meetings. This figure has dropped to as low as 15-20 for a couple of years. Now, since we have started having our annual contest every year since 98, the membership is rising. As for publick demonstrations, we have a couple of members at the Virgina Aviation Museum every weekend and a cou;oe of the retired members give demos at local schools. Again, getting the members to participate in either public demo, or to serve on the executive board is tough. Like anything else, 20% end up doing 80%. We nominate and vote once a year, usually the current president ends up serving 2 years and then says "enough". Same with the vice-pres. The treasurer's office has become a permanent position, with the current one serving since I've joined. I have been the secretary and newsletter editor for 4 years. Not complaining, mind you, but it can get old. I don't know how you can spark your local IPMS chapter. Are there any other members that would like a change. If so, get yourselves elected to your chapters e-board.As for public demos, check your local malls. You may be able to set up something there. Try getting some flyers announcing yourselves and ask if the local hobby shops or craft stores will put them in their store window. Or make copies of the flyers and see if the stres will let you put them on their counter near the registers. It is really hard to get people to volunteer, but you have to keep trying.
Sorry to be long-winded, but I just got talkative
Chappy_ju87
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 01:11 AM UTC
Thanks everybody....When I got into this club I was thinking it was going to be great. I would be able to inprove my skills, etc...I have learned most everything off of the net as far as modelling goes. I will consider starting my own club and if I do I will let everyone know how it works out for me
 _GOTOTOP