_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
ASU-57
october
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 140 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 03:11 AM UTC
Hi,does anyone have any views or thoughts on the Toga 1/35 scale kit of the ASU-57?I've seen one for sale and I am curious as it doesn't seem a commonly available kit.
Equally if anyone has any opinions on the AEF Designs convertion of the T-72 into a T-84 I would appreciate them.
Thanks October

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 03:14 AM UTC
Nasty kit, the ASU-57 is. I even went and got the Model Point barrel and support rollers for it. Very rough kit.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 03:26 AM UTC
And as for AEF Designs, I gave him another chance last year and he did not fail to disappoint. Missings parts in my L33, which he promised to send but did not; Rough scribed detail on T-54 engine deck, and barrel had a bubble right on the end-nearly imposible to fix; And a fairly nice looking 2S1 turret-but the commander's cupola does not come close to fitting right. I was told if I had any modeling skills it would fit. Yeah, I had to use an old wheel rim from another kit to make it work. If you absolutely must have this conversion get it-the master is probably very well done. Just expect about a C effort in the actual casting process, and an F in service if something isn't right.
october
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 140 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2006 - 03:06 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies and warnings duely noted.
As both kits are on E-bay I think I'll weight up the going price against my interest in them especially the AEF conversion.
Thanks again October
armormike
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 106 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 07:25 PM UTC
As far as the ASU-57 I just completed the AER/Maquette kit and actually found it to be rather a fun build. Couple of areas are a challenge but not bad.

The top portion of the hull has a ridge that needs to be shaved off so that armor on top fits. The directions are not good and you need to mount the gun in before gluing the hull top and bottom together to get it straight.

The headlight guards need to be made from brass wire as you cannot make plastic easily become circular.

I can't wait to start painting as I think it really is not bad looking.

Hope this helps.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 07:44 PM UTC
For a way to make headlight guards other than usig brass wire are two things:

1. Get some "floral wire" from a craft store or inthe craft section of a Walmart. It is thin wire but pliable and does not warp easily with handeling.

2. Wrap evergreen rod, .02 or .025 around brass stock of the diameter you want using something like a rubber band to keep it on. Practicve may be needed. Then put it in boiling water for 5 seconds, and then rinse under cold running tap water for 5 seconds. You should now have bent plastic rod...it has worked well for me, for what that is worth! :-)
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 08:12 PM UTC
I built that version of the ASU about 7 or 8 years ago. As Rob said, it' s on the rough side but workable. I used aluminum rod to replace the barrel and thin sheet to either add or replace the rear fenders. Makes an interesting LITTLE kit.

Trivia side note, these things were airlifted in slung under the wings of the appropriate transport and parachuted down!
 _GOTOTOP