_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Use of Merkava 1 in 1982 Lebanon invasion
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 11:08 AM UTC
I've read that the Merkava 1 tank was used in the 1982 Lebanon invasion, though the IDF used mainly Magach types. How many Merkavas were used, and when and where?
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 11:52 AM UTC
In Operation "Peace for Galilee" the Merkava saw its first operational trial during the initial stages of the advance into Lebanon. As to the total number, that'd be somewhat difficult to find out. For a dio though, there were at least three lined up in a row outside the Lebanese National Museum, and another two parked ironically enough right outside the Palestine Liberation Organization's Headquarters.
On the last day before the ceasefire, the first encounter between Merkava and Syrian T-72 tanks took place just south of the Beirut-Damascus Highway in the Beka'a Valley. According to several published sources they knocked out up to nine T-72's of the 3rd Syrian Armored Division.
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 06:47 PM UTC
Theres a picture of those Merks parked outside the PLO's HQ, I believe the crew were re-fuelling or something. This maybe incorrent or a bit later on and not in Lebanon,but I read somewhere that a Merkava 1 drove a squad of troops into a PLO occupied building so they could take out the PLO fighters. Like I said I think it was in Lebanon but im not sure.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 01:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Theres a picture of those Merks parked outside the PLO's HQ, I believe the crew were re-fuelling or something. This maybe incorrent or a bit later on and not in Lebanon,but I read somewhere that a Merkava 1 drove a squad of troops into a PLO occupied building so they could take out the PLO fighters. Like I said I think it was in Lebanon but im not sure.

I have two pictures of those Merkavas parked outside the HQ. It's on the "to do" list, as it's such a great scene. Next to them will be one of those long refuse dumpsters filled to the brim with confiscated weapons and equipment, from another pic. A great way to dispose of the already overflowing spares bin.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2006 - 04:21 AM UTC
Actually my project was to show a Merkava tank withdraw from Lebanon in defeat, to show the first-ever time the IDF lost a war, which was a shock to Israel in the 1980's, even though it was not directly defeated by another army. The message is that the IDF could no longer count on easy defeats against incompetent Arab armies like it did in past wars.
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 455 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 08:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Actually my project was to show a Merkava tank withdraw from Lebanon in defeat, to show the first-ever time the IDF lost a war,

Really, you mean like they surrendered after their army and equipment were all destroyed and ran up a white flag kind of defeat? I'm not sure I remember it quite that way but whatever you say!?
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 02:34 AM UTC
The Israeli Defence Forces were not defeated in Lebanon in 1982.

They withdrew after the U.S. became involved and set up an evacuation plan to have the PLO leave Beirut before they were all killed.

The PLO agreed but only if Israeli troops left first. The Israeli forces had entered Beirut and were in the process of destroying every PLO stronghold.

The Israeli forces had no problem dealing with the Syrian ground and air forces.

A defeat for Israel...no, it was a message to the PLO that Israel would not wait for PLO gunman and suicide bombers to enter Israel or continue attacks from Southern Lebanon...the Israelis would take the fight to the PLO.

gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 06:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Israeli forces had no problem dealing with the Syrian ground and air forces.

A defeat for Israel...no, it was a message to the PLO that Israel would not wait for PLO gunman and suicide bombers to enter Israel or continue attacks from Southern Lebanon...the Israelis would take the fight to the PLO.

Thank you Jason. That's pretty much the way I remembered it also!!! I worked in the Middle East and I'm sure I would have remembered a defeat of the IDF if one had indeed taken place. Heck, even during the October 1973 fighting when Syria had the element of surprise on their side, large numbers of Syrian tanks were destroyed by a handful of partially disabled IDF tanks near the Golan.

Gary K
WingTzun
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 853 posts
Armorama: 515 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 07:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

On the last day before the ceasefire, the first encounter between Merkava and Syrian T-72 tanks took place just south of the Beirut-Damascus Highway in the Beka'a Valley. According to several published sources they knocked out up to nine T-72's of the 3rd Syrian Armored Division

Maybe you would be better off switching to depicting the the Merkava knocking out the T-72?????
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 08:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Got to love those alternate reality stories. Man, does anybody do research any more?

Well, everyone has their own perspective and are certainly entitled to their opinion but having lived and worked in that part of the world for a time I can't imagine the IDF is quaking in their boots when thinking about Syria as has been suggested here. The war in 1982 did challenge the IDF and they no doubt suffered losses but a defeat, I think not!
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, April 03, 2006 - 12:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I have two pictures of those Merkavas parked outside the HQ. It's on the "to do" list, as it's such a great scene.

Can you post that picture please? I am intrigued.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, April 03, 2006 - 01:19 AM UTC
Sure, soon as I get back home.
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, April 03, 2006 - 05:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sure, soon as I get back home.

Thank you very much, I'll look forward to seeing it.

Gary K
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 09:26 AM UTC
Here they are. Nothing worse than a photo of a photo though.

gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 06:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Here they are. Nothing worse than a photo of a photo though.

Thanks for the effort. Clearly it shows the Merkava and the PLO HQ which I now remember seeing those photos somewhere. Thanks again, Gary K
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 08:21 PM UTC
I'm glad you see them. Nothing coming up for me. I posted these the same time as others on the Aircraft forum with no problem. Did you have to go to the gallery or is it workig for you?
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 09:01 PM UTC
18Bravo - I went into your post and edited the image tags so that they'd show...

~ Gunnie
 _GOTOTOP