_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Any experience with SAAM BTR-T conversion?
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 06:32 AM UTC
I got an extra Tamiya T-55A at a steal from the Hobby Lobby clearance aisle. Anyone have experience with it? Here's a link to it:
http://saammodels.tripod.com/companies/spdesigns/T55/sp177/index.htm
DODGE01RT
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 545 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 06:42 AM UTC
Robin,

I've not seen the kit before but looks like an interesting subject.

Jim
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 07:35 AM UTC
Here's a link to Oliver's build:

http://olivier.carneau.free.fr/kits/russie/btr-t/index_gb.htm

It's the full kit but gives you an idea of what the conversion would look like finished. Most likely a much better fit using the Tamiya T-55 kit.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 08:33 PM UTC
Hiya Rob,

Yeah, I can help as you might guess. :-)

The conversion for the Tamiya T-55 makes the BTR-T look MUCH nicer than the full resin kit that had been based on a reworked Lindberg T-55 (YUCK!). While much can be done with the full kit, starting with the T-55 conversion will make for a much nicer kit.

However, the one part that bothers me the most is the exhaust area. If/when I do another build, I plan to cut this area out and use screen/evergreen plastic to make it look nicer. It is not horrible on the kit, but now that I have a few skills in scratchbuilding, it bugs me.

Otherwise, it looks like a good conversion in the box. Any other questions, throw them out.

Jacques (AKA SAAM owner)
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 09:20 PM UTC
Hi all,
I know Sergej has improved his kit from the version I built. It should be more accurate but I can tell you that the hull is a nightmare.
I can't comment on the fit upon a Tamiya hull and that the main point to me. The upper hull is good even if you can improve it in some areas but which kit is perfect ?

For your knowledge, sorry to write this Jacques, this is not meant to "counter-advertise" Sergej's products, Real Models have released a conversion for the Tamiya kit. It costs approx 50$. It looks good too.

olivier
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Monday, April 03, 2006 - 12:33 AM UTC
Ok, I just took a good look at the conversion 177.

First and foremost, Sergej did not modify the pieces from the old full kit, he made entirely new masters. I compared my built BTR-T with kit 177 pieces...all new. There was a little bit of misalignment on the old kit...everything is square on the new kit. Hooray for updated masters.

Second, the upper hull conversion DOES NOT include a new engine deck...it just covers the front two thirds of the upper hull. While I have not checked the fit, I can say that it looks good from what I can see.

Lastly, No problem on talking about the RM conversion. I do not answer stuff just to sell Sergej's kits, I also do it just for general info. If the RM conversion is worth the extra $25 for it, then we should know about it. Remeber, I am doing this to help people build models, not to make a buck.

That said, I do think the SP Designs conversion is better for price/product.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Monday, April 03, 2006 - 01:29 AM UTC
Hi Jacques,
mentioning the RM conversion was just letting people know as well.
I enjoyed (not fully for the wheels fit ) building the full kit.It's original and should Sergej release a BMP-T I would go for one.

The only point is the cannon that IMHO has to be replaced by a modelpoint turned one. Way much better !

olivier
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, April 03, 2006 - 04:05 AM UTC
Thanks for the input. I was looking for an easy way to build the Tamiya kit differently (besides slapping different decals or paint scheme). The $25 solution looks doable and much more affordable than the $50 RM kit.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Monday, April 03, 2006 - 09:30 AM UTC
Yeah, I agree that the main gun barrel really needs to be replaced. Sergej kinda let that slide as it is a serious pain to try to mold that in resin without pressure casting. He figured the serious modeller would be getting a MP barrel or snitch one from a DML or Ertl kit. Can't blame him either.

As for the conversion, I have been kinda looking it over with the Tamiya T-55 on hand all night, just kinda putzing with it. It looks like it will fit the Tamiya kit really well and it utilizes the best parts of the Tamiya kit so that there is a lot less work to really make it shine. For example, instead of just giving a new upper hull with engine deck detail troubles, he made aa new upper hull piece that just goes over the top and stops before the engine deck. Then the rear deck hatches are seperate so less detail is lost. It just looks good.

I think I know what I will put on the "next in line" burner when I am done working on the T-62M m2005 kit. I will post initial pics of that beastie tomorrow, and maybe a review?

Off to rest!
2CAVTrooper
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 302 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 08:15 AM UTC
That looks different than the ones I've seen before.

the ones I've seen had an AGS-17 in an armored box mounted to the turret with an additional AGS-17 mounted on the front hull as well as 3 or 4 7.62mm LMG's

No match against the BMP-T though

There is a new one that is based on the T-72 that mounts a modified BMP-3 turret, from what I've read it's for their naval infantry, has a crew of 3 and carries 7

Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 09:33 AM UTC
Not surprising that they may have kept modifying it to meet needs or to demonstrate tech.

To be honest, the BMP-T is a better platform than the BTR-T. First of all, you can fire the ATGM from under cover, all 4 of them...the AT-9 has a FAE warhead...nasty. Second...dual 30mm cannon. Ouch. And lastly, those AGS boxes.

I think I may have convinced Sergej to try the BMP-T...he is warming up to T-72 conversions lately. However, the BMP-T may be a year or more away. He is producing a correct front Glacis for the Tamiya T-72 in much the same fashion as what Miniart has done for the T-90 front Glacis. Of course, this will help you produce a nice russian T-72M1...

And of course, he has decided to do a Balck Eagle turret to put on the SKIF T-80 kit...not sure on dates for that either, maybe August? I am definately pushing for that one!
2CAVTrooper
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 07:05 AM UTC
Hey Jacques,

I hope he adds a new front hull showing the increased glacis armor as well as the driver's position moved further to the rear. As well as a plug to lengthen it because the Black Eagle has 7 road wheels per side as opposed to the 6 on the T-80's

Here is a better pic than the grainy black and white one I first was shown back when I was in the military:

Here is a site that goes into a little bit more detail, the second link has cross sections for the turret:

http://armor.kiev.ua/fofanov/Tanks/MBT/b_eagle.html

http://armor.kiev.ua/fofanov/Tanks/MBT/640_armor.html
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 12:39 PM UTC
Hi Jeff,
I guess Sergej will release the first variant with the 6-road running gear. Jacques may confirm.
It'll be easier to convert the DML or Skif kits into this early Black Eagle.

However, it's a real pleasure to see what Sergej offers in terms of originality and variety in a specific vehicle family. Just have a look at his BTR-80 or MT-LB based vehicles ranges.

Olivier
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2006 - 07:03 PM UTC
As of right now Sergej will only be releasing the Black Eagle turret...nothing else I know of (however, that may change). The black eagle is based on two vehicles...the turret on a T-80U hull and another vehicle that had a lengthened hull, a similar turret, and some hull changes. Now I know that is not what we all want to hear, (we all want BOTH right? :-) ) However, I am impressed he decided to do a turret at all.

The main focus is on profitability. IF Sergej made a full 7 roadwheel kit, he would have to sell it in the $80+ a pop range and MIGHT be able to sell enough kits to break even because there would be no other "varaints" to base off the hull.

However, just doing the turret and letting the model builder go from there offers the best balance of profit vs. effort. The main pictures people are familiar with are the T-80U hull and the turret covered with a cammo net. So it would be easy to convert to this version with just a turret. If someone whans the other hull...2 SKIF kits and some cutting willl get them what they want as well. And a "one off" turret cost is much easier to absorb.
2CAVTrooper
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 06:39 AM UTC
The one based on the T-80 hull was because the new hull wasn't ready for the expo back when the Black Eagle was introduced.

I'd rather have the lengthened hull as opposed to a basic T-80 hull, and the optional 152mm main gun just to get the full effect of what the Black Eagle could be
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2006 - 07:45 PM UTC
Hey Jeff,

Actually, according to my resources, the Black Eagle started out as a technical demonstrater starting out with a T-80U turret and the new Kaktus ERA...once things were worked out, they started on a improved hull. Russian designs tend to be pre-occupied by turret worries, based on thier experiences in "The Great Patriotic War", and the probabilities of a turret being hit. Thus the new turret on the old hull.

Also, the turret was designed to be retrofitted on a number of other hulls as a possible export.

The lengthened hull has not been properly explained, as the turret is not significantly heavier. While the ammo in the autoloader on the turret rear must make for some interesting center of balance issues, I am not sure the extra length will make much difference, based on the fact that the turret is being offered to upgrade Leopard, M60, and T-72 hulls as well...without the additional length of chassis.

And as for the 152mm main gun...well... ; Lots of problems getting all the pieces to work together properly. Between recoil forces, ammo loading, ammo storage, and percieved need, no Army is "upgunning" yet...120/125mm seems to be the standard to work from for right now anyhow...

So sorry to say, look like you willhave to dig into the spares box and dust off the hobby saw ans knife blades for the hull...
 _GOTOTOP