Berlin 1945 - dio finished
Simon
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 878 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Monday, April 03, 2006 - 11:02 PM UTC
Hi there!

Well, my entry for the Berlin Campaign is finish, and I just wanted to share the project with you.

Overall view:

The building is Verlindens old "Ruined Ortskammandantur". The lamppost and the roadsign is both from Tamiya. I thought of bending them a bit; what do you think? Would they be harmed due to the bombing of the building? (Stupid question perhaps:-? )
The barrels, jerry cans, crates and other stuff is from variuos manufactorers; Resicast damaged drums, Tamiya, Italeri etc.

Interior:

The ceilling and floor is made from balsa wood. Wallpaper is normal paper glued in place and washed with a lightgrey tone. I kept some of the paper free from glue in order to rip it off making it look torn. Accessories are from various manufactorers as well, and somewhere next to the table (sorry but I hav'nt got a close-up of it) is a bust. I made that from an old Dragon head glued to a piece of balsa and then painted black. You could paint it dark brown, white or whatever. But I think thats a nice way to use some spare heads that would'nt fit on a figure.
The figure standing next to the door is fram Dragon's kit "Fallen Comrade - Aachen 1944", build oob.
The running guy on the far left is from Dragon's kit "Volksturm - Berlin 1945" with a Verlinden head.

Close up of MG-team:

Both figures are Tamiya, with minor modifications. The pointing guy has a Hornet head. The panzer-faust guy in the back is from Dragon's kit "Volksturm - Berlin 1945", also with a Hornet head.
The rubble is made from dried clay - the one you buy at the florist. I dry the entire block of clay, and smashes it to bits. The larger bits can be "decorated" with ornamentation or - as here - bricks. Its a nice cheap and easy way to use dried clay for urban dios. As a bonus you'll get a lot of (clay)dust that works almost like weathering powders.

Another overall view:

I think that is all. I hope you like my work, and if you have any comments (regarding damaged lamppost fx.), questions or anything else, please let me know. Thanks for your time.

Simon
geofroley
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 94 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 12:53 AM UTC
Looking great Simon! Love the dried clay method you've made there as well.
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Armorama: 571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 01:21 AM UTC
Simon,
Great Dio! I think it looks a bit 'empty' on the left (first pic) and there's a mold seam on the knocked over drum in the second pic. Wish we could have some close ups.
Tom
FLASH
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 51 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 12:40 PM UTC
Simon,
looking good, well done!

Lee

HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 12:56 PM UTC
Gday Sime
Looking good here I like your rubble...As for your lamppost Q, there would definitely be no glass lens left (or globe probably...) Even if you broke a street sign off and placed it in plain view at the front left corner on the ground perhaps? It would contrast nicely and add to the impression of things scattered...
All the best
Cheers Brad
erhntly
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 01:26 PM UTC
Good job Simon,
very realistic....
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 02:57 PM UTC
a nice composition, nice paintwork and detailing. congrats Simon
KitMaker: 4,303 posts
Armorama: 1,051 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 05:48 PM UTC
Hey Simon!

Great dio! I think you are the first who's finnished!
I took the liberty to make a linkf from the Berlin forum to this thread.
It's a very inspiring dio and there a lots of nice little details in it. I like the bust idea very much and think it add some nice detail. Als the papers and books laying arround.
I do think the lamp posts look a bit too clean still; perhaps some 'scraped paint' damage or, what you allready mentioned, bend a bit.

Paul
Simon
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 11:13 PM UTC
Hi there
Thanks for your kind words.

Quoted Text

I think it looks a bit 'empty' on the left (first pic) and there's a mold seam on the knocked over drum in the second pic.

I agree with the empty space. I thought of placing a knocked-out russian truck or a Opel Blitz. Both vehicles would be too big and look too clumsey why I decided to keep it clean. Either that or maybe a motorcycle. As for the seam. C*** you saw it :-). No, I'll fix it. Thanks for reminding.

Quoted Text

Even if you broke a street sign off and placed it in plain view at the front left corner on the ground perhaps?

Good idea. Thanks Bradly - det vil jeg prĝve.

Paul: Thanks, thats kind of you

Pat, Engin, Lee, Erhan: Glad you like it, thanks.

I think thats that. Thanks again for your replies.

Cheers

Simon
KitMaker: 4,303 posts
Armorama: 1,051 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 11:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I thought of placing a knocked-out russian truck or a Opel Blitz. Both vehicles would be too big and look too clumsey why I decided to keep it clean. Either that or maybe a motorcycle

Well... a knocked out truck doesn't have to be big...
Just only half the cabin or so; the rest is blasted away
But a motorcycle our burnt out kubel would look nice there indeed.

Paul
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Armorama: 1,339 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 11:39 AM UTC
Excellent work Simon. Very nice composition and very well executed.
Did you use lentles or something similar for the coble stones?
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 05:25 PM UTC
What you've got looks good. But there does seem to be too much open space for a central city in ruins. While this could be accurate for a particular corner in Berlin, the effect leaves a feeling of barrenness. Perhaps more rubble along hte edges to imply other destroyed buildings. For futture, you might want to use a smaller base for this type of story or move the building further back and add a vehicle to the street.

As to bending the lamppost, the ones I've seen that are similar are usually made of a cast iron like material, which is more likely to crack and break than bend.
Simon
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 10:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Did you use lentles or something similar for the coble stones?

Yes. I used split peas glued with white glue to the base. Then I gave it some varnish and finally poured thin polyfilla onto the peas, and with a brush made sure that all cracks would be gone.

Quoted Text

As to bending the lamppost, the ones I've seen that are similar are usually made of a cast iron like material, which is more likely to crack and break than bend

Ok. Useful info. Thanks. I will use your advice.

Thanks again for your replies and remarks.

Cheers
 _GOTOTOP