Hosted by Darren Baker
Korean war russian trucks
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 07:13 AM UTC
Instead of the usual "destroyed T-34/85", I would like something very different for my future Korean war dio. What about a "destroyed russian truck" ? But what truck ? The pics I have only show destroyed and therefore unidentified trucks :-) . Did the North Koreans and Chinese used russian trucks like the ZIS 5, ZIS 5V, or even the bigger ZIS 151 (I have a pic showing "something" in the background that closely resembles the last-mentionned). I know they had GAZ 51 but there's no 1/35 scale kit for it, only 1/72 (from Military Wheels) Any information would be welcome.
Frenchy
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 08:05 AM UTC
The chinese copied everything that the Russians did so that it became a case of everywhere that Joseph went, Joseph went, Joseph went....Mao was sure to go. This technology/and resources were happily passed on to the North Koreans, and I think it is safe to assume that the Zis 151, identical, albeit built under Sino/Korean contract would be a viable option.

Jack
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 08:48 AM UTC
I believe CMK markets a Studebaker US6 Cab Conversion for the Italeri CCKW-353 Cargo Truck. These were Lend-Lease to Russia during WW II and would find a home in the Korean War too.

Gunnie
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 10:39 AM UTC
I've heard about this conversion but don't remember where or when...I did not find any mention of it on the Web. Or maybe it came from another manufacturer (Real Model ?) However that may be, I am not sure that the chassis of this 2 trucks were exactly alike, making a conversion more difficult than it seemed at first sight. A good clear wartime picture showing a line of North Korean ZIS 5Vs would solve this problem But I'm a bit too old to believe in Santa Claus...

Frenchy
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 12:50 AM UTC
I been workin on the railroad'.....56 Years ago the first Ural truck "ZIS-5V" has run from the main assembly line. 8th July is an occasion for looking back and summing up.
more...

http://mac.distribution.cz/html/35001_zis-5v_cargo_carrier.htm
http://mujweb.atlas.cz/www/kpmct/Modely/35_ZIS.htm

Hope this helps

Jack
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 02:34 AM UTC
Thanks Captain. "Abundance of pics does no harm !" But if finding pics of North Korean trucks is difficult, what about finding a 1/35 scale kit of a North Korean sidecar #:-) !!!

Frenchy
 _GOTOTOP