Hosted by Darren Baker
El Alamein Dio
Sherman_67
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 265 posts
Armorama: 203 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 07:24 PM UTC
This is what I'm going to do for my dio have a british mitilda tank driving down a street then with a house behind and a nice kind of fence

what do you think comments are welcome
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 08:54 PM UTC
Hi Matt,

Here's a link to the engagements and campaigns fought by 7th Armoured Division. It should provide you with some ideas and the history behind the battles. There were two Battles of El Alamein so a little light reading might help you decide on a more interesting setting.

http://www.btinternet.com/~ian.a.paterson/engagements.htm

It would also be useful to visit the IWM online site and have a look at some of the photo's from that period.

http://www.iwmcollections.org.uk/

Just copy and paste the links, sorry I haven't got the 'links thing' sorted out yet.

The basic idea is OK but I think you could make it a lot more interesting. I don't remember seeing any 'nice fences' when I visited Alamein back in the 80's, it's scrub desert with a few mud houses and an abandoned railway shack if my memory hasn't failed me.

By the time of the second battle the British were using Grant's and the new Sherman's that had recently come into service. There may well have been Matildia's still in service but you'd need to check specific regiments, can't remember off the top of my head..

Hope this helps.

Al

beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
KitMaker: 1,735 posts
Armorama: 586 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 06:21 AM UTC
Matt just to add you may want to consider adding abandoned Afrika korps equipment such as personal stuff (rifles, helmets, etc) and a damaged vehicle as well to inform the viewer that a battle has occured if you are doing a post Alamein dio.
 _GOTOTOP