Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya T55 built ootb, my thoughts
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2002 - 03:58 PM UTC
First off, my apologies to anyone who also reads this over in ML modern.

I've all but finished the first of mine as an out of the box build. I still need to attach the gun barrel and light linkage and build the mg.

Overall I love this kit. It is the best single piece of armor I have built to date. Straight out of the box it is a gem! The ease of assembly is unmatched. I only misplaced/misoriented one part, B1, the whole time, and that was my fault.

So having said that, please understand, this is NOT a complaint. I love the fact that Tamiya for whatever reason decided to do a T55. I bought three and will buy more from the VLS sale next Nov.

I also can't wait for the flood of aftermarket goodies. Like someone else said in another post, the last time this happened was with the Panther G's. Look at all the aftermarket that came out for those. 3 seperate kits, making 4 versions (counting the Steel wheel and IR as 2 different versions) , for a vehicle produced for a span of just a couple of years and in numbers far fewer than the T55.
I hope Tamiya releases several versions/variants.
An Achzarit would be fantastic!

I only have two little niggling wishes/desires that involve placement of parts onto the turret.

I appreciate how Tamiya engineered the stowage lash point loops and the faint marks to indicate their location, big thumbs up there. I'd love a sprue or two of those (A18's)

But the placement of parts A42 , the long grab handles on the rear quarter of the turret are a bit imprecise in the vertical axis. I can eyeball the markings instructions and take care of that one. That is not a huge deal.

The other wish is for a more postive placement of part C14, the ammo stowage end of the stowed mg clamp. This one I cannot eyeball from another step, since it is added near the end and is seen side-on in the markings illustrations.
I think I got it right after peeking at the Concord book, but a bit more of a location guide or a second illustration would have been very helpful to me.

Mike
Who is already trying to decide what to do with the other two...
 _GOTOTOP