French Town House progress, roof question
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 06:31 PM UTC
Hi all,

Managed to make some progress on both the Pzr IV and the Town House last week-end, as all the trucks stayed in one piece and non of the drivers got themselfs in any trouble... all night in an empty office, ahh, modeling heaven..

Annyway, I think I'm done with the rubble, and just about with the pastel dust. Last thing to finish is some curtainpoles/ripped curtains and the remaining glass. The figure is there only for a sense of scale, I have some better troops looking around the corner for later..

I appreciate your comments/thoughts on the roof... just to see if my thoughts are the same..

Cheers
Henk
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 06:40 PM UTC
Henk,
Love the height of the building corner, most folks do not use so much vertical space.

Is that the Mini-art kit? I must have missed the previous threads about this building.

Did you use the printable minis for wallpaper?
What are you planning to use for glass?

The roof looks fine to me, was it part of the kit or scratchbuild?I do see thought that in the first pic there looks like there is a space at the far right end of the roof, where it meets the top of the wall. Or is that just the picture.

More pics please.
Mike
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 06:55 PM UTC
Thanks Mike,

It is the MiniArt kit, and the previous thread can be found here ,

The posters are included in the MiniArt kits, although these are from a different kit, as the French Town House only comes with a large number of movie posters... very nice posters, but slightly out of place in this case.

The roof is scratchbuild, and yes, there is a gap (at the moment) between the wall and roof. i'm not sure where to go with it, it needs a bit more damage, but I'm not all that happy with the 'lead' covering.. maybe it just needs to grow on me..

More pics will follow..

Cheers
Henk
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Armorama: 713 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 07:00 PM UTC
Hello, mate!
Mighty fine looking, is what I have to say about this one, my friend...I love what you've done with the kit, Henk, and personally, I like the roof...maybe a little more damage, like you said, would help it to grow on you a litle more...thanks for taking us with you along the build, Bro, it's been a great trip!

~Gunny
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 07:22 PM UTC
Henk i like the town house so far the ruble looks good and i really like the damaged floor with the carpet, i also like the lead roof but think it either needs more damage or more weathering which i am shore you will get to.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 07:26 PM UTC
The roof shape is good. It fits the style.
Comments - the top ledge of the building needs to be some type of rain gutter (I can't tell from the picture). These are typically a square tougth type of deal sitting at the base edge of the roof.
If it were me, I'd shingle the roof.
MiamiJHawk
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 07:43 PM UTC
Holy Cow, Henk:

If it is possible, I think the interior shots are even more
impressive than the exterior shots of the building.
Just awesome work. You really have a feel for smoke
damage to wall paper, etc. Most impressive. Whew!!
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 12:23 AM UTC
Henk, you have done a fantastic job on this Miniart building. I have to agree with Scott about the roof it looks right but I think ther eshould be some sort of gutter there, also the wood shingles would add a lot to it too. And Again I have to agree with Rick, the detail and amazing work you have done to the interior is great. How much time have you put into this kit? I guess this is a two folded question, How much time getting the kit together compared to the detail work you did on the inside? My hat is off to you this is stunning. Cheers Kevin
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 12:54 AM UTC
Thanks guys, your comments on the roof are a great help, as I have been thinking along the same lines.
First of, these French buildings have got lead covered roofs, slanted for about 4 to 5 foot and than flat again. I bend the bottom at right angles to create the gutter, but that doesn't show very well in the pictures. I'll have to redo that with either some plastic channel or plasticard. I will just keep working on it untill I'm happy with it... .

Quoted Text

You really have a feel for smoke
damage to wall paper,

Thanks Rick, the smoke damage was done with a piece of burning sprue ( DO NOT try this at home children... :-) ), which replicates flame and smoke best. Takes abit of practise though..

Quoted Text

How much time have you put into this kit? I guess this is a two folded question, How much time getting the kit together compared to the detail work you did on the inside?

Thanks Kevin, as you know so well, the devil is in the detail.. the kit takes a bit of time, mostly sanding, but goes together well. The biggest job for the interior was building the floors, as the rubble is really easy. Just pour some plaster (pre-coloured) out into a slab, and when dry take out your days frustrations on it with a hammer... :-) .

I'll try to take a few close ups of the roof and gutter as it stands later.

Cheers
Henk
Snake-NL
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 799 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 01:00 AM UTC
looking very nice maybe i have a idea for the roof. Maybe you could make it something like this picture:

link

I made this house for a game but i really like the texture of that roofs there are some more screens of that kind of roof that page.
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 03:37 AM UTC
Henk, beauty job, gotta agree with Scott ,Kev, and Ken on this tho.
Is there any way you can add some kind of soffit or gutter system to cammo the roof to bldg. arrangement ?
Just got home from work will post in a few with some more ideas - Cheyenne

Oh yeah, I'm going to propose marriage to Snake-nl, great concept to codec out your own ref. stuff, as a guideline. [ Yes I know it was researched ], it's to good not to be.
I just gotta get with the 21st cent.
Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,185 posts
Armorama: 810 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 04:30 AM UTC
Henk -

Truly a beautiful job! Well beyond me at this point, and I can just marvel and learn. I especially like the flooring which you said took the longest to do. I can understand why, and be assured the efforts paid off handsomely. I'd love to see an inside shot of the ground floor. Between you, slodder, jackhammer81, and cheyenne, I've definitely be able to 'go to school' on all your outstanding examples and insights. Thanks for sharing,

Blade48mrd
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 05:47 AM UTC
YO blade, Kevin's stuff is almost done you need a building ? " Go ahead make my day " if you want, give me my next project - don't expect it tommorrow, - but p.m. me and we'll talk - Cheyenne
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 05:53 AM UTC
Oops , sorry Henk, forgot where I was post and forum wise - didn't mean to hi - jack anything - and by the way I'm working on some furniture for ya.
Bits and hall caddys but I'm having fun - Cheyenne
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 06:42 PM UTC
Gday Henk
Love the rubble!!
Re the discussion of the guttering... Should there be such a wide ledge below the roof line? I'm not sure about Euro buildings, but I figure the roof would overhang the ledge, and a guttering attached to that? Could be a good opportunity to have the down(drain) pipe hanging off it's wall clips for some extra detail on the outside of the building...
Hey, how about some pigeon (flying rats!) poop over the roof? Would be near the top pitch of the roof, and add a nice(?) contrast to the lead expanses...
Keep us posted!
Cheers
Brad
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 2,220 posts
Armorama: 1,707 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 07:02 PM UTC
Super Job Henk! That is one tall building! I have only one constructive comment, and that would be I think you need 200 fold more rubble! Pics of destroyed buildings show mountains of the stuff!
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 07:14 PM UTC
Hi Bradley,

The pigeon poo is a good one, reminds me of my old CB550 Ratbike....
No overhaning roof on this one, the gutter is on top of the wall, at the edge. i'm working on it, the roof itself has already grown on me,

Here's a pic that will give you some idea of the roof as they have them in France.

Cheers
Henk
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 07:53 PM UTC
Thanks John,

Ahh, the old debate, how much rubble is to much? :-) :-) . I'm tempted to add more, but it will probably not 'fit' with the size of the base as it is right now. When it's going into a larger dio, I'll add a lot more rubble, to blend it in. Also depends if the final dio will have cleared streets or rubble and debri all across..

Cheers
Henk
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 07:57 PM UTC
Hi Ken,
your builders point of view is very much appreciated, and your observation with regards to the size and feasability are correct. I will change the lead into smaller portions..

Cheers
Henk
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 07:42 AM UTC
Hi Henk. Over the last few years I have saved much of the work of Blockhaus for future reference. Heres an image from his Paris house. Was looking at roofs in Stockholm today and this is an excellent image of the typical lead work and colour. Hope this helps some!

Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 07:08 PM UTC
Hi Frank,
that is a very nice roof, Blockhaus sure is talented. I can just about manage to add bits to a building, but scratchbuilding from the ground up is beyond me.

I reworked the roof (a bit) , add a bit more rubble (just for Sticky... :-) ) and have added plenty of stains to the walls. I put some curtains up on the top floor, but I will have to find something else, as the medical gauze is to rough...

Cheers
Henk
 _GOTOTOP