Hosted by Darren Baker
Jackhammer81's hse - 3
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 06:20 AM UTC
Oh man, sorry Kevn, but the download story from hell dosen't end where I left off with you on the phone - I had to whirl a dead chicken over my head, kiss Michael Jackson, have sex with my wife, then go to Motor Vehicle and finish my business in less than 1/2 hr, in order to post these pics. [ not site related - my kids pressed - ok - on a - HP upgrade and never told me ].
Couple of other pics in my gallery - got an emergency call out - someone hit a pole [ telephone ] Kevin talk to you tommorrow - Cheyenne

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 06:49 AM UTC
AAAAgggg - you had to go to the DMV - Give me MJ anyday :-)

Seriously - I love the woodshed part, it full of detail everywhere. Nicely done.

In the 4th photo the depth of the hole under the window looks a bit deep to me. I'd love a better photo of that area to give final thoughts on it.

The texture on the outside of the building is very nicely done, very convicing and life like.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 06:53 AM UTC
That looks great. I love the woodpile, stones and the windows (lol)
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 07:17 AM UTC
Scott, the lathe could be worked some more as far as depth is concerned, around the individual boards. A nice crumbly effect [ may just leave that to Kevin - don't want this to become one of my never finished museum pieces ].
Alan - go soak your head - " love ya man "

Oh yeah Scott, didn't forget about the p.m. talk - will p. m. you with my ideas forthwith. - Cheyenne
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 07:43 AM UTC
Yeah Scott, good call, thanks, could use a little more crumbly excreta around the too hard transition edges from lathe to outside finish.
Also the bulbus hinges are to be on an inside [ not too visible ] setting, Kevin can rust and weather them up, the door was just in that position on that paticular pic.
Then again if Kevin wants to change or rearrange anything It's his call. The door is to be delivered in a - you place it option type of thing.
Thanks again Scott for the heads up - Cheyenne

tango20
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 336 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 08:43 AM UTC
Hi Old Chap

Love it real good job on the wood pile am the only one who saw the axe real nice touch really like the tiles on the wood store ,this really has come along in every sense of the word .
Having watched your projects develop...jesus for over a year lol, i learned watching how Glen creates and man he can create not only does he do his own thing but man jumps in and builds stuff for other people all the time ...for freeeeeeee i am the proud owner of one of his original works ...one offs i showed it to a guy the other day who has half a million dollors of Ferarris in his garage beside the range rover and the A4 Audi he was facinated and said this is built buy a person and not by a machine ,when i said the exposed wall is dried split peas and lentels he said thats what i mean the personal inovative touch.
I think the thing we all love about Glens creations is his use of things that we havre in our spare box ..keep doing your thing its a pity we still dont have member of the months of the month coz there would be a [auto-censored] load of people here who have been insiprational and supportive ..who would have thought that modling would have created that bond
Cheers Chris
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 01:16 PM UTC
Good morning Cheyenne,

Great work on the house.

I must say that i do not really like the irregular tiles. They may well be irregular, but from simple to triple and more seems to much irregular for me.

Another question : I think you use basswood for the roof. We do not have that over here (at least as i know). How is painting with basswood. Balsa soaks up washings, good grain etc, but fragile. How does Basswood work?
I tried with Pinewood, but it does not really work well for wheatering.

Cheers
Claude

jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 01:17 PM UTC
Glenn, this is great From the crumbly shingles to the axe in the log pile...I love it! I think everything is fantastic so far, I feel honored to have this going on my dio , its just like Chris has stated here its personal touch that you put on things, and thats what makes it great. Are you going to do the tin transistion between the roofs? I cant wait to see some thatch on this!!! For that matter I cant wait to get it here and put on the base!!! Again my many many thanks! Cheers Kevin
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 03:17 PM UTC
Nice update photos - I don't know if I'd do anything under the window (seeing the nice closeup shots).

From here I can see the second layer of lathe - nice.

These photos really show off the texture too.

Well done.
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 04:19 PM UTC
Thanks guys, Claude thanks and also for mentioning the wood, the balsa soaks up primer alot, basswood less and pine even less but it all needs a few coats before painting.
The tiles are supposed to be [ wood ] split shake shingles, alot of them will be covered by the first layer of straw roofing. The valleys are to have tin in them as per the reference pics. Kevin had given me.
The couple of pics. I am using show a varied amount of different materials used on some houses, some very strange combinations but it looks as if they used what they could get thier hands on.
Thanks again - Cheyenne
MiamiJHawk
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 06:49 PM UTC
Cheyenne:

Just wonderful building. I love all those out of the
ordinary touches like the plaster that pulled away from
the exterior wall, under the window. . . the irregular
roof tiles look very good to me. . . but I usually travel
the less taken fork in the road, I'll admit. That outside
"closet"(?) with the firewood stacked in it is worth the
price of admission all by itself. And for me, what's
even better is that I'm sure Jackhammer will enter it
in a Heartland contest, perhaps the IPMS Nationals
in my fair city, so I will get to see the entire thing up
close and personal, with apologies to ABC TV network.

Claude: you have solved a mystery for me. I wondered
why I never heard the Big A members in Europe talk
about using Bass Wood instead of that flimsy balsa
wood. You don't have it there. That is a shame. It is so
much easier to work with and takes stain, varnish, or
paint so much better than balsa wood. That doesn't
seem fair.
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 12:02 AM UTC
@Rick, strange isn't it ?
You know the best part, my parents house is on a place called "Lannebierg", "Lindenberg" in german, what means in english ....... Linden-Hill.
There are even a few Linden trees around the house.
The tree you make the basswood of is the Tilia americana, or American Linden. (i did just look that up in Wikipedia)

May be i should cut them down and slice them in pieces.

Cheers to you all
Claude

small PS (a big update from me to expect in 2 weeks)
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 11:07 AM UTC
Glenn,
this is really a piece of art and it is a pleasure to see every progress..when Kevins diorama skills are added to this house, another Gold award is on the way
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 09:31 AM UTC
Absolutely stunning my friend. I like every bit of detailon thismasterpiece. Kevinyou are a lucky man !!!!
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,447 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 09:38 AM UTC
Looks great Cheyenne. Kev is one lucky duuuudee. But maybe not, well have to find out whats goin on behind the scenes.
 _GOTOTOP