_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya Mid Production I
Kaboom
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 69 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 06:38 AM UTC
Hello All!!!

I got a Tamiya Mid Production Tiger I, kit #35194, for Christmas and I have a few questions before I tear into it. This is my first WW II German Armor kit and my first attempt/try/misadventure into after market products, maybe.

1. Is there a good PE set for this kit? I have found ones for early and late production kits but none for this particular kit.

2. Is there a good set of after market tracks for this kit?

3. Is this kit worth a bunch of extra time and money?

Any and all suggestions and comments are appreciated. :-) :-)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Mark
barron
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 598 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 07:34 AM UTC
That is a great kit Great Models webstore has every update kit you could want. and yes the detail kits are worth it.
Kaboom
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 01:59 PM UTC
Thanks

I checked out the site but I'm confused by all the variations. I'm not looking to build a specific tank from a specific campaign but I would like to build a fairly accurate kit with PE and after market tracks. I guess what I'm asking is, what have other people done with this kit other than building it OOB.

Mark
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 02:00 PM UTC
i agree with barron, http://www.greatmodels.com has all you'll need to do that tiger justice. i recommend fruilmodel tracks for that particlar beasty. the link and pin construction are more tedious than and to end glueing but they are more durable than modelkasten tracks because they are white metal and the pin goes throught the whole link, modelkasten are plastic and the pins are only end pins and are tiny. happymodeling stug
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 02:15 PM UTC
i searched for you, and found a couple of nice sets:
1. eduard mid production has fenders and exhaust shourds
2. at squadrons site the techmod decals has most of the mid prodution markings
3. squadron also carries cavalier zimmerite frothe mid production and it goes the ALL tiger one kits i recommend it to anyone wanting to do a tiger in zimmerrit, it looks better than the resin stuff and can be applied with either epoxy or superglue.
4. i even recommend a set of aber side fenders for your monster, they are nice and lt you do you battle damage easier than with the plastic parts.

my personal preference is Aber, but the eduard set are nicly done. but, in the end its up to you to pick and choose when you have the set in front of you. happy modeling stug
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 05:22 PM UTC
First of all, this Mid-Production is a great kit even build out of box, and accurate.

Then You can have Eduard and Aber PE for them, Eduard is nicely done, but for a project like the Tiger, if you are crazy enough, I would recommend Aber, because Aber is more detailed, and you could have more building fun (?).

Then you can also replace the kit barrel with a metal one.

As for the tracks, I agree with the others Friul is the way to go, Modelkasten is too fragile, and also needs you to glue two guide horns for each link, and it's about 180 guide hors to glue per each side of tracks.....

By the way, are you going to do Zimmerit for the Mid-Production? Because I see most of them had Zimmerit.
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 05:33 PM UTC
good point dave, the mettal barrels from jordi rhabao are a nice touch i used one on my late production stug
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 - 05:35 PM UTC
I don't know one Tiger from another, but I have seen and used both Aber and Eduard PE. Aber PE is thinner and they give some very comprehenisve PE sets. I could not imagine trying to use everything they give you. Eduard's PE is stiffer, maybe because it is thicker, and they don't get quite as miniscule in the PE parts. They do tend to be cheaper and more readily available in local shops & online.

One other word of advice, don't buy PE or aftermarket for this kit just to buy it. Sometimes the kit parts are just fine and more accurate than flat PE. I know Tamiya sells PE sets for their various tanks that just include the grill covers and they charge about half as much as Eduard or Aber, but that's all you get is like two or four PE grills, whereas with the full PE sets, you get dozens of pieces. Academy also does a set of sinlge link tracks that are cheaper. Again, I don't know if they make a set specifically for this Tiger variant.

I have been hooked on aluminum barrels though. I find that Model Point barrels are superbly machined and look like miniature precision instruments. On the down side, they are 2-3 times as expensive as Barrel Depot or Jordi Rubio barrels.
leogunner
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2003 - 01:58 AM UTC
I built this kit a while ago, and the only real modifications I did to it were to build some grill covers and replaced the tow and track cables. I did add the Tamiya engine and maintenance crew set, not that you can really see it, but at least I know it's in there.
This kit just doesnt need a lot of extras to make a good looking kit.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2003 - 02:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't know one Tiger from another, but I have seen and used both Aber and Eduard PE. Aber PE is thinner and they give some very comprehenisve PE sets. I could not imagine trying to use everything they give you. Eduard's PE is stiffer, maybe because it is thicker, and they don't get quite as miniscule in the PE parts. They do tend to be cheaper and more readily available in local shops & online.

One other word of advice, don't buy PE or aftermarket for this kit just to buy it. Sometimes the kit parts are just fine and more accurate than flat PE. I know Tamiya sells PE sets for their various tanks that just include the grill covers and they charge about half as much as Eduard or Aber, but that's all you get is like two or four PE grills, whereas with the full PE sets, you get dozens of pieces. Academy also does a set of sinlge link tracks that are cheaper. Again, I don't know if they make a set specifically for this Tiger variant.

I have been hooked on aluminum barrels though. I find that Model Point barrels are superbly machined and look like miniature precision instruments. On the down side, they are 2-3 times as expensive as Barrel Depot or Jordi Rubio barrels.

Is the Model Point one, the brass one from Canada, if that's the one, I think it's by far the best 88 Tiger Barrel, it's an art. I wanna get myself a couple of these babies.... #:-)
Kaboom
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2003 - 08:26 AM UTC
Thanx for all the info everyone. After a couple hours looking on the net tonight, I just placed my order at greatmodels. I decided on the Tamiya grills, Eduard barrel, and a couple of sets from Verlinden. It took a long time but I decided to use the kit tracks instead of buying the Fruilmodel set. They cost $30 and I was already up to about $50 on this order. I won't be working this kit yet. I told my wife I'd finish the 5 I haven't completed yet

Later

Mark
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2003 - 08:46 PM UTC
good show, but for the ease of a beginer i recommend the cavailer set for the zimmerrit, and don't forget the warning about etch sets, they'll be there in front you but you need to decide whats right for you. now to my headache, ABER's set for the famo half track, very involved. happy modeling stug
moville
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 54 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 03:02 PM UTC
A nit picky point here... the tracks supplied with the kit (w/ ice cleats) are meant for the late production tiger. Some of the mid pro ones had these but most of them had the early style ones. You can buy the Academy single links for ~ $10.00 and they look pretty decent (solid guide horn though). Also I would opt for the Eduard set alone as opposed to the Tamiya Grills and the Verlinden set...The Tamiya grills are really flat and thick w/out much detail and the verlinden detail set I have for the Panther consists of some really thick PE and wedding veil material and some resin pieces that don't really look any better than what's in the kit. What I found as a big plus in the Eduard set is all the fenders are there as well as the tool clamps. Also the grills are real nice with the actual woven detail. Eduard also has a zimmerit done in PE for pretty cheap. I hope I'm not too late chiming in, but I think you'd be much happier updating your order. Good luck with the kit and let me know if you need any info on the tiger, it's the one tank I actually have a ton of info on.
russ
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 432 posts
Armorama: 359 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 08:06 PM UTC
I'm in the middle of the same kit myself and have found it to be pretty good so far.
I've added zimmerit using Squadron Green Putty , put wire mesh over the engine louvres using mosquito netting and I would suggest you put an after market machined gun barrel on to save the trouble of trying to get rid of the seams on the kits one.
My main reference is " On Target #1, The German Tiger Tanks " by Verlinden Publications, although this book doesn't actually have a Mid Production Tiger in it !! Has alot of detail pictures though.

Have fun

Russ
clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 774 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 09:02 PM UTC
Mark,

I would recommend reading and trying Ian Sadler's technique for duplicating fenders as outlined in the new features section on the homepage here at Armorama. It is actually pretty easy once you have done a couple and I think you will find it to be a satisfying way to duplicate the often dinged -up fenders of the Tiger. Plus, it can save you a few PE dollars that can be used elsewhere, like for taking the wife out to dinner for letting you buy all that aftermarket stuff in the first place

Coop
 _GOTOTOP