Prior Stairs Topic.
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Armorama: 526 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 06:37 AM UTC
Matt,

I probably can not help you in the technical sense. However, a few things I remember from enigineering school (engineering 101: "examples how to be stupid and screw up", aka bash the architects).

There is a certain formula for steps (at least for modern buildings), in the sense that there is a certain relationship between the height of the steps and the stride forward you have to take. This ensures confortable walking (not having to break your stride).
Its something in the gist of (step up + step forward) = (variable x average stride).
In this case the example was the new library of the Universoty in Delft, the Netherlands, where the architect had designed the steps in such a way that only coming in from one direction you could walk up them with an unbroken stride. Needless to say the idiots forgot that the vast majority of the people (as the main road and bicycle rack are placed there) come in from the other side.. and that even a walk to the cafeteria (straight in front of the library) makes for an odd walk..

I might be able to contact some friends back home to see if they can find out (will take a little while, as they are sound asleep by now).

Also, it seems that for regular homes, old stairs seem to be steeper and narrower then new ones, and often more twisting... as space was money.

edit:

Well, I was beaten to it. If you still want to know the more or less official rules, let me know. As the rules IIRC are general (they apply for in house stairs and staicases in palaces, steps up a hill etc. etc).

Hope this helps,

Harm
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 09:42 PM UTC
You can always check this out.

http://www.plastruct.com/Pages/Action.lasso?-database=PI.PRODUCTS.fp5&-Layout=Complete&-Response=OnlineProductDetail.html&-op=eq&CCode=STEP-12&-Search
Sherman_67
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 265 posts
Armorama: 203 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 07:02 AM UTC
GenAbrams your post helped me alot thanx

Matt
 _GOTOTOP