_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Terre Model's T-90S
woodstock74
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,189 posts
Armorama: 692 posts
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 - 01:45 AM UTC
Pulling my hair out on this one inasmuch for the pooooooooooor directions (I can't be bothered with its apparent inaccuracies at this rate). Anyhow, I'm trying to determine if I'm missing any parts. I can't seemt o find the parts labeled as 8. The instructions seem ambiguous as to how many are in the kit and I'd guess there should be anywhere between 4 and 6. I beleive these parts are the laser warning receivers that are mounted at various points of the turret. I have a part that comes on the "5" spure that could be it but it is unlabeled as well as there being only 2 of them (to go along with the 2 "5"s which I can identify). Sorry no pictures to better explain, I'm away from home at the moment (out of town for work, brought the kit with me to work on in the hotel room at night), those of you with the kit may understand. Those without feel free to ignore (this post and possibly the kit...)
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 - 02:00 AM UTC
They may also be relying on the plastic kit to provide some of the parts...

Poor instrcustions or not, I saw the parts breakdown and build up of the kit...man, the ERA is set up horrible.

Here is a link from off of Ebay I am assuming that the pictures are of his build and not from the Terre Models team? Those K-5 ERA blocks are on WRONG.

Sigh.

woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 - 02:21 AM UTC
That is literally the guy I bought mine from and that could very well be the exact parts I have so it doesn't shed any light.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 - 06:19 AM UTC
Mike, I have this conversion. I had to scracth all of the receivers as I could not find them anywhere in my box. The one that is on top of the turret is a double reciever with two lenses in a sort of "V" shape that sits on the top of the turret with the open portion of the "V" facing forward. As you look down on the turret with the gun tube facing away from you, there should be a receiver just behind the left side hatch, one on the center of the turret rear, and one just behind and to the right of the right side hatch opening. You are absolutely correct about the instructions, or lack there of. I found it very helpful to look thru the Concord book on the T72 and its variants. Lots of usable pics as to what the receivers should look like. I'll see if I can post some pics of the progress I made on mine before throwing in the towel. I plan on finishing it , not just yet though. Back soon. "Q"
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 - 06:54 AM UTC
Okay, I mis-spoke earlier. The receivers should be located center top of the turret, and slight behind the left side hatch. Those are the only places I could see them mounted. Not sure where I came up with the other suggestion. Anyway, here is what I have gotten done on mine thus far. Disregard the additional receiver behind the right side hatch. At this point the reciever is just sitting on the turret roof. Also had to scratch the ERA blocks as the kit ones were horrible. Thanks. "Q"

Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 - 09:03 AM UTC
Very Nice work Matt. Maybe you are the guy we should turn to for the masters of a T-90 conversion?

Man, the more I see of the Terre models kit, the happier I am that I never bought it. Yeesh.

Good luck Mike, you are going to need it. Sorry to say that. Any help you need though, drop a line on here. (although I still can't tell you about part 5... :-) )
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 - 07:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Okay, I mis-spoke earlier. The receivers should be located center top of the turret, and slight behind the left side hatch. Those are the only places I could see them mounted. Not sure where I came up with the other suggestion. Anyway, here is what I have gotten done on mine thus far. Disregard the additional receiver behind the right side hatch. At this point the reciever is just sitting on the turret roof. Also had to scratch the ERA blocks as the kit ones were horrible. Thanks. "Q"

OK, then I'm not going crazy if you don't have the part in question either! Yes, I have the concord books. I've been using them to arrange the roof ERA blocks....and I've been finding that they appear way too long. I've arranged them as you have, row of 3 between hatches, row of 5 just below, and my row of 5 are lipping over the radiation shielding looking quite awkward in that the mounting lugs are in the air. I thought I could correct this with some styrene rod and some patience.
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 - 08:33 PM UTC
Mike, yep yer' not crazy. I Found these two pics online of the receivers on the turret top and the transmitters located on the turret face. They might help you out if you want to try scratching them. I hadn't seen these before, so I might go back and redo what I had done thus far. Good luck with your build. "Q"

woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 08:50 AM UTC
Just thinking out loud here. Been looking at the turret top ERA blocks on the Terre Models kit and feeling more and more dissapointed with them (I'm still fogetting about the other inaccuracies and the really bad directions--what's done is done). They are just too big (long). Noticed that Model Point makes various ERA sets. Has anyone tried them? Reading the description, The ERA blocks Type D can be used on a T-90 (though there are no images so I can't be sure if these are indeed the turret top ERA blocks). And if I'm going to replace those, I might as well replace the V-shaped turret face blocks. Which type of ERA are those on a T-90S? Kontakt-5? I wish Model Point had images of their items...
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 11:19 AM UTC
Hi Mike,
I did this conversion a while ago but still have the instructions. I'll try to help you later as I don't have them right now. I don't remember missing parts but you're right saying the instructions are awful.

You can't build this kit right from them. I did it and my T-90S is bad looking now that I have pics to compare with
The turret ERA blocks are looking strange but the pics above show that they fit on little poles so that they may look floating in the air on the anti-radiation liner.
The laser warning receivers aren't clearly located like the front ERA blocks again

Be careful with the donor kit's turret bins as the side ones should be modified as they are shorter.

To make it short, this conversion must be seen as a base for .... a conversion

olivier
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 07:06 PM UTC
So far as I know, the T-90S sereis has Kontact -5 ERA. The Model Point frontal ERA should be good to use. As for the other ERA from Model Point...I have never seen it. I cannot tell you if it is any good or not. I will have to get ahold of one of my "contacts" to see if they have an opinion.

On a side note, I talked Sergej into making a proper NON-export T-72 front glacis replacement piece similar in style to how miniarm is engineering theirs. (whole front piece replacement.) He seems to be warming up to T-72 conversions now...
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 08:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

On a side note, I talked Sergej into making a proper NON-export T-72 front glacis replacement piece similar in style to how miniarm is engineering theirs. (whole front piece replacement.) He seems to be warming up to T-72 conversions now...

Hi Jacques,
that's a good piece of news. There is so much to do with the T-72 family.
I hope he will work on the Tamiya base kit. I'd love to see a BMP-T

olivier
chefchris
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 09:07 PM UTC
Jacques, Yes Yes more T-72/90 stuff would surely be well received. A T-72 update/backdate set would be lovely.

Chris
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2006 - 07:08 AM UTC
Yes, agree, T-72 conversions would be good. I seem to have a current obsession in that I have 4 T-72 kits:

1 DML T-72M2
1 Zvezda T-72A
1 Zvezda T-72B
1 Tamiya T-72M1

And on top of that:

>Terre Models T-90S conversion (which I'm utilizing the T-72M2 for)
>AEF M-84 turret (haven't decided which to stick it on)
>MB Models Iraqi T-72 turret (haven't decided which to stick it on)
>Anubis Creations T-72 turret (nopt quite sure if this is a T-72M2 turret or as Zaloga calls it, a T-72B1--regardless, doesn't appear to be a Super Dolly Parton though it is a T-72 turret with the radiation shiedling--so whatever that is).
 _GOTOTOP