_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Start T-40 Amphibious Tank
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 08:34 AM UTC
Went to check out a small corner hobby shop about 25 miles north of me. Nice place that carries a wide variety of train stuff like MV lenses. Found the Start T-40 Soviet Light Swimming Tank kit there for $16. It looks like a Russian manufacturer and the majority of text is in Cryllic. Anyone know of a build up review on this kit or a translation of the instructions? It does look like it could use a good set of PE for it, are there any available?
alexmar
Visit this Community
Israel
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2003 - 10:45 AM UTC
You are wellcome to send me the scanned instrustion;-)

[email protected]
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2003 - 04:47 PM UTC
Rob--I also have this kit as well as its brother the Start T-30 (same as T-40 except it isn't amphibious and it has the same 20mm cannon as the T-60 instead of the heavy machine gun that the T-40 has). There is no PE specifically for this kit that I know of and believe me I have looked. I checked the obvious guys such as Eduard, Aber, and PART and I checked the not so obvious guys like The Show Modeling, Lions Roar, Airwaves, Royal Model, On The Mark, Warriors, Gum-Ka, etc. and have had no joy. Most of the items that would come with a PE set can probably be relatively easily scratch-built though which is good. The only AM item that I plan to get for mine is a set of Friulmodel tracks. The T-30, T-40, T-60, and T-70 all had the exact same tracks so the Friulmodel set marked for the T-60/T-70 is correct for this kit. If you come across any PE or replacement gun for this kit or any other AM item for that matter please let me know as I may take it into consideration for my kit.

HTH
Sabot
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 03:23 AM UTC
I'll keep an eye out for some. I literally went through the entire Eduard 1/35 armor site page by bage and did not see a current PE set for it. My shop also had a rocket equipped variant as well.
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 04:46 PM UTC
Who made the rocket equipped variant and what was it called? The only thing I can think of is the BM-21(?) which was a T-60 with the turret removed and a katayusha rocket rail on it instead. I have never seen a rocket equipped T-40.
Sabot
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 06:38 PM UTC
Here is a review of the kit: BM-8-24 Missile Jet War Launcher and it was made by Start also. Basically the same kit with a missile set thrown in.
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2003 - 12:26 AM UTC
Sabot--Very interesting! I have seen the rocket launcher kit on the T-60 chassis, but I have never seen this kit. The only kits that I have ever seen by Start are the T-30 and T-40. If you build that bugger, please let me know how it is. Make sure to post a few pictures or at least send a couple to me so I can see how it builds up. :-)
 _GOTOTOP