_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern Armor
Modern armor in general.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Polish T55's, really as brown as XF-51??
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 09:27 AM UTC
Hello all,
I'm aware of the vagracies of color film and different light levels and scale effect, and all that rubbish..so I'm not relying too heavily on Concord's color pics. Monitors are inaccurate portrayers of real life color, so I can't count on what I see here at the computer.

But my problem is that I've got this Tamiya T55 that I just sprayed with the recommended color from the instructions for the Polish version D, Khaki Drab XF 51. It came out looking really brown.

And I know I am in an elementary school classroom in the Northeast that is poorly lit by flourescent lights, but then again most shows aren't all that much better lit..

The paint may also cure to a more greenish shade, but as of 20min later, it's pretty brown looking.

So has anyone actually been Polish T55 and can attest to the accuracy of the Tamiya paint? I'm planning on moderate weathering, but I'm not planning on mudballing and scratching the bejezus out of the thing as seems to be the current style of weathering these days.
So I can't plan on hiding the paint behind the mud.

Mike
MichalBT
Visit this Community
Województwo Kieleckie, Poland
KitMaker: 326 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 11:27 AM UTC
Mike,

Personally I’ve never seen “brown” Polish T-55 L But also I can’t say that Tamiya suggest totally wrong colour. In the past Polish Army used paint from different suppliers (and quality). And what is very important- vehicles were used in different conditions. So final result could look very different
But still I think that the most suitable colour for vehicles of People’s Polish Army is FS34087 or FS34102. Majority of them were painted such colour. Personally I prefer first one.

Michal
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 11:54 AM UTC
My T-72 and T-90 book show a picture of a Polish T-72. It is camouflaged in green, red brown and black. Big splotches of brown. Not that this is any help for a T-55.
MichalBT
Visit this Community
Województwo Kieleckie, Poland
KitMaker: 326 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 07:44 PM UTC
Rob,

3- tone camouflage (similar to NATO) is a standard for our PT-91 tanks. And it's used on other (not all) Polish Army vehicles. Some of them- even brand new are painted green. But this is current situation.
During Iron Curtain Polish vehicles were painted green colour. It was standard. But I found one T-55AM2B which was painted dark yellow (this tank was produced in SU and used for tests by Polish Army).
In early 90's we could see Polish Army vehicles painted more unusual colours (e.g. green with yellow). Or instead of brown sb. was using red primer.

Regards,

Michal
 _GOTOTOP