_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Question : How to make realistic iceflowers
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 06:55 PM UTC
Friends,

to add that bit of extra, my shed needs some iceflowers on the frozen window....

Does anybody have an idea on how to produce these...... ?
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2003 - 02:31 AM UTC
If you mean the frosted snowflake kinda things that appear on really cold mornings - this came to mind. I have NO idea if or how it would work.
How about putting an old glass (don't want to experiment with the Mrs. good stuff ) in the freezer and get one to form. Then take it out and spray it with arisol (spray) glue. Let it dry and try to peel it off? Or maybe a layer of hair spray?
Another way may be to get an image and print it on transparancies.

Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2003 - 02:53 AM UTC
How about using Super Glue? When I used to build airplanes a log time ago, once in a while super glue would get smudged on the canopy and then it would frost it white. It's a disaster when you building a fighter jet but might work OK on a window.
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,318 posts
Armorama: 837 posts
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2003 - 05:43 AM UTC
What about some of that glass etching "stuff"? I know it can be purchased in the craft section at Wal Mart here in the US.

Patrick
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 05:49 AM UTC
Danny,
take a piece of your window material. Spray some hair spray over that, from half a meter away. Just a quick spray so it gets sticky but not wet. Sprinkle a thick layer of food soda over that. Shake off the loose soda.
Gently touch the center of the window screen with your fingertip so that some of the soda comes off with your finger. This should look pretty darn good.
If the distance while spraying was right, the hairspray created some bigger drops on the window instead of being a solid layer. More soda atttaches to those drops, creating some frost-like variety, frost flowers.

Go ahead, test it. It works!

Also what Slodder suggested before might as well work. Maybe the soda is not necessary..itīs about how white you like your frost!

Toni
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 07:33 AM UTC
Since this is a picture contest, you can try the following procedure :

1) spray water on window
2) put dio in deepfreezer for 2 hours
3) take picture
4) win contest

If it doesn't work with your dio, it is an excellent way to treat your beer or wodka glasses before your dinner guests arrive. When they come out, they look impressively "cool" !
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 09:33 AM UTC
Jan,

Testing you alternative, I ran into the following problem :

The white glue I used in the dio came loose...now I have to start all over again....

_GOTOTOP