_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
FEATURE
Review Writing - Some Useful Tips..
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 07:29 PM UTC
In the last few weeks there have been a number of threads - all with a current theme: How can One Contribute Reviews? Just published is a little feature which hopes to help people make take the first step in contributing reviews with a series of ''Tips'' as to how to make the first steps. This article does NOT have the inention of being the last word on the subject, rather as a means of ''de-mystifying'' the process and encouraging more contributions. The feature, can be seen-.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 07:55 PM UTC
Good write up. I remember someone asking several days ago about reviews. This one sums things up nicely. There was a question regading word count in that post but don't recall seeing it mentioned in the feature.

I don't think word count is too much of an issue. I wrote up a simple review last week and the word count was over 1300 words. I didn't even delve into a full-fledged correct the errors review either.
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 08:02 PM UTC
Word count is an issue quite often. 400 words is about minimum, although it can depend on what is being reviewed.

Vinnie
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 08:13 PM UTC
Good work Jim!! Thanks for writing this up it will prove very useful for review beginners like myself, I keep pondering over what to write and more importantly what to review-although I have got rather a lot of Hobby fan figures and I see the reviews section doesnt have too many reviews on HF stuff, better get writing.

mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 10:57 PM UTC
Very useful tips, and exactly what I was looking for as I read the other threads concerning this topic. I have a large stash of kits still in production that I think would be perfect for "in-box" reviews, covering aircraft, armor, and naval subjects. I just haven't been comfortable with what was really needed. This article helps a lot.

Mike

mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Armorama: 1,370 posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2006 - 02:33 AM UTC
Great article Jim, was able to get a better in-sight of what is to be written, and what was missing in-between the lines. Thanks for taking the time out in preparing the article.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2006 - 03:00 AM UTC
Definitely a much needed article and would certainly be at the top of the Writing Reviews 101 class.

Being a researcher by nature, the part i often tend to be careful with is this part...

Quoted Text

Acknowledgements/Further Details

- Taken from Jim's article

Proper referencing and acknowledgements are often as important as the article itself. In this day and age, copyrights and intellectual property are overlooked with the blink of an eye.

When writing either research articles or model kit reviews, i make it a point to reference back to the source so as to give credit where its due.
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,299 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Monday, April 24, 2006 - 05:30 PM UTC
Very helpful article Jim. It will definately help answer lots of General questions that we see asked in forums.

Keep it up

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Armorama: 903 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 03:58 AM UTC
Hi Jim

I agree - a useful article. There are areas where I'd differ, but this is down to personal preference. However, there's one point I do think it's important to clarify for our members for whom English isn't their first language:

Quoted Text

No-one expects Shakespeare in a review. What we do insist on, is good, grammatical English. This is vitally important.

Please don't let this deter you. All our editors are here and ready to help you present your text in the clearest form. It's the quality of the text that counts, not the best use of English in the Review's draft form. We will always consult with you over any changes we feel are needed for publication.

All the best - and keep 'em coming

Rowan
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 12:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

However, there's one point I do think it's important to clarify for our members for whom English isn't their first language

I couldn't agree more, however, I do feel that many Non-Native speakers actually write considerably better (grammatical) English than Native speakers.

It's got quite a simple explanation, in both Britain and America, grammar teaching has taken a back-seat in the last few years, whereas in non-English speaking countries, there is still a large emphasis on construction...Jim
Alpenflage
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,120 posts
Armorama: 1,002 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 04:00 AM UTC
Jim. I would like to thank you for taking the time to write this guide on how to do reviews. There are some really good tips, and a basic outline for what is required to do a review for this site.

At some point I would like to try one. I took writing courses in college, so it should articulate well. My only hold-up at this time is a digital camera, so it may be a while. Then again, my birthday isn't that far away.

Cheers !!

Robert
 _GOTOTOP