_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Info on the Prototype "Maus"
SGT_Fubar
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 168 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2003 - 06:30 AM UTC
Can anyone point me to some sites relating to the German Prototype Heavy Tank Maus.
I know that this was commissioned by Hitler to be a 168 ton monster but I have very little info beyond that. Any pics or more info would be helpful. Thanks
brno465
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2003 - 09:01 AM UTC
http://home.tiscali.nl/~jova/index.htm#top - has some good info.

http://www.ostpanzer.boom.ru/Maus.html - Text is in Russian, but it has some good original pics
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 902 posts
Armorama: 628 posts
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2003 - 10:05 AM UTC
If you need a translation of the Russian site use. Altavista Babelfish The translations can be rough but you'll get the gist of it.
merkava8
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 501 posts
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2003 - 06:17 PM UTC
I have a book with a picture and a few paragraphs of info and tech details PM me if you want me to scan it for you.
brno465
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 87 posts
Posted: Friday, January 03, 2003 - 09:53 PM UTC
If you can track down Wheels and Tracks issue 23, there is an excelent article by David Fletcher with original pics and engineering drawings.

There is a great pic of one of the prototypes bogged down in mud nearly to the top of the hull, with a bunch of soldiers with shovels preparing to dig it out (188 tonnes burried at least 5 feet into the ground), I imagine it might have taken a while..........
I can just imagine the response the Maus's commander must have got when he had to get help to dig it out - "You bogged WHAT!! WHERE??!!! "
The Germans painted a fairly dodgy Hammer and Sicle on it and took some photos, apparently so they could use them for propaganda purposes, saying it was some huge Russian vehicle they had captured.
plstktnkr2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 352 posts
Armorama: 309 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 04:24 AM UTC
some photos are on the kubinka web site
www.tankmueum.ru
 _GOTOTOP