_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
ERTL T-55
4thLAV_Bn
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 61 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 07:49 AM UTC
Hi guys,
I'm building a T55 from an ERTL kit I found stashed at my parents' house... I think I stashed it there back in the mid 80's. Yes, I know it's hideously dated in comparison to, say, the Tamiya kit. Call me a glutton for punishment, I think it's a great challenge and it fits the Russian Armor campaign.

Anyhow, as I add lots of detail (lots because it came with so little, but then that's the fun), I have a question: On the back of the turret, there are 2 rows of 3 tiny metal "loops" that look like webbing tie-down points for carrying cargo. I can't find any pics on the internet showing what goes on them definatively. My old-school 70's and 80's cold war military manuals are in boxes... someone know what goes there?

Thanks!!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 07:57 AM UTC
The were designed for strapping ammo cans for the 12.7 AA MG. They were actually used to strap on anything that needed to be carried.
4thLAV_Bn
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 61 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 04:30 PM UTC
Thanks, Gino. I had found a picture of a Rhodesian T-55 that had ammo cans mounted there (after I posted, it was on the 34th page of Google results), but I wasn't sure that that was the intended purpose. It's wierd how many pictures of the T55 don't have anything mounted there. In my experience (USMCR) we'd use the tiedowns (on the LAV) to put stuff on the vehicle every time we went out.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 04:54 PM UTC
They may originally have been intended for stowing the tank tarpaulin, similar fittings on the rear of WW2 era T-34-85s were.

Otherwise the Soviet Army didn't bother much with crew gear.

This Iraqi tank has both the eyes on the turret rear and larger fittings on the RHS side of the turret specifically made for 12.7mm ammunition boxes.

Iraqi T-55
 _GOTOTOP