Hosted by Darren Baker
Standing Static Grass Up
StuartB
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 11:38 PM UTC
Thought I would pass this tip on to fellow modellers after a really pleasing days modelling.
I used NOCH's static grass for the first time today and after reading lots on various websites about getting it to stand up without the use of expensive equipment, I thought I would try something rather cheaper and decidedly low tech. After applying the glue (deluxe's scatter grip) and the static grass I turned my diorama upside down and shook off the bulk of the excess grass, and then placed a piece of cling film food wrap lightly over the grass. The film is so charged with static that every blade of grass stood to attention like a parade ground of soldiers. It even brought the grass up again after I sprayed it with tamiya acrylic to improve the colour later in the day.
insolitus
Visit this Community
Goteborgs och Bohus, Sweden
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 207 posts
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2006 - 01:04 AM UTC
Welcome to Armorama and thanks for the tip!
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2006 - 01:31 AM UTC
Stuart, that is an excellent tip! I have tried almost this before but with a balloon I had rubbed againist my head. Only problem is the balloon doesnt work well in tight places. I will definitely give your idea a try. Thanks for sharing it. Welcome to the big A Cheers Kevin
MiamiJHawk
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2006 - 02:31 AM UTC
Hey Stuart:

Welcome to the Big A my friend. That is a good tip re
the application of static grass. Hopefully, you're not
smoking that vile stuff, huh mate? Jusssss kiddin'

Glad you came aboard the Big A train,

bother37
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 56 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2006 - 03:56 AM UTC
Here's an easier tip: wrap magnetic tape around the dispenser you are using. As the grass passes throught, it becomes charged and stands straight up! YOu can get magnetic tape at any craft or hobby store.
323k13l
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 27 posts
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2006 - 04:19 AM UTC
#:-) welcome to the big a isnt this site rock your soo well recevied i never used static grass i must admit never had the money to buy some im soo chepo lmao but not all the 15 year kids out there have alot too i prefer using herbs , but you know wat i think ill give it a try for you !! ill try with herbs too lol ......but with this trick u need to be careful u let the glue dry a little if u dont want all the grass on the tape or sheet thanks for sharing

simon
 _GOTOTOP