_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
The ash from burnt rubber on destroyed vehic.
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2006 - 08:40 PM UTC
I have seen alot of dioramas in the past of burnt out tanks with the rubber turned to ash, for example in Hyperscale.com there is a diorama called "Tiger Bait". It is of a IS-2 that was destroy and left as a burnt out hulk. The rubber from the road wheels are just piles of ash due to the intense fire. Some of the authors that tell how they make the ash for the burnt rubber explain that they use actual cigaret ashes, but they do not tell use how they adhere it to the diorama.
Can anyone please give me any insight on how to adhere the ash to the diorama or is there a better way?
Doedskvad
Visit this Community
Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2006 - 11:02 PM UTC
hm.... i'd apply some wood glue to the spot where i want the ashes and then just strew the cigarette ash on the still wet glue... that's the way i would do it
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 10:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hm.... i'd apply some wood glue to the spot where i want the ashes and then just strew the cigarette ash on the still wet glue... that's the way i would do it

I agree with Richard here...
Wood or PVA glue, applied in droplets. The ash could be strewn over the glue droplets, and as I guess (never smoked) the ash would be very brittle, therefore the glue would also give some 'body' to the ash...
Cheers
Brad
REMEARMR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 443 posts
Armorama: 357 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 12:26 PM UTC
I think it would depend how long the wreck had been there, any rain or strong wind would reduce the ashes to just a grey/white mass on the floor. I would be interested to know how you get on with this.
Cheers
Robbo
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 01:16 PM UTC
A little powder mixed with white glue can be placed nicely around the wheel to simulate the burnt rubber. Colour can be made easily with black and white pastels.
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Armorama: 384 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 04:51 PM UTC
I’ve made fine ash by taking fine sawdust from around the sander and carefully burning it with the torch.
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,361 posts
Armorama: 268 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 06:12 PM UTC
Cigarette ash will "disolve" in water based glues- I would go with pastel dust or similar
Burik
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,303 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 06:52 AM UTC
I would use pastels. In my attached diorama I first made a small mound with putty and then put the white and grey pastels on that using some white glue.

troubble27
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 783 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 07:44 PM UTC
Well, I cant say Ive ever had to make rubber ash, but considering the topic, why not actually burn up some rubber??? Im not trying to be a smart a**, but it would sound logical to do it that way to me. COme to think of it, Im at my shop. I'll try burning up some rubber at lunch time and let you all know the results.
 _GOTOTOP