Hosted by Darren Baker
Korean war russian trucks Part 2
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 09:11 AM UTC
As people aren't exactly queuing up to post on this forum here I am again with another question about - guess what - russian trucks : does anybody know if an alternative set of wheels exists for the Zvesda/Italeri Zis 151 kit with "russian" tires. I know there is one for a Zil 157 conversion, but this is another story (bigger wheels) ?
For those who are interested (c'mon, tell me I am not alone....please ) I have finally found confirmation (on the USAF museum site !) that North Korean troops had received Zis 151s at the end of 1950. I even found a picture that prove this ! Santa Claus is not rancorous

Frenchy
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 10:20 AM UTC
Interesting subject !
The company Dream Catcher makes nice sets of wheels for ex-soviet vehicles.
They've got BTR 152 wheels. Maybe would they be right for the ZIL 157 ? there is a chance, but I don't know...
good luck !
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 12:56 PM UTC
You are correct Penpen, they are one and the same. I should really enlarge that designation:

Jack the tyre guy
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 10:25 PM UTC
Thanks CaptainJack and Penpen for your replies, but the wheels and tires I am looking for are smaller than those of the ZiL 157 . In fact, they are just like those shown on the Zvezda ZiS 151Cargo truck box-art. Maybe my destroyed truck will have burned down tires

Frenchy
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 10:43 PM UTC
well, it's a possibility it may have to be, but i doubt it will go that far. did you check other kits for replacement tires, they might be there and your spares box will love the attention. i once bought a whole kit just for the tracks in side it. i know i'm nuts, but you can easily find what your looking for in other kits, and they cost the same as most resin updates. sorry jack it's true, the resintracks were more expensive than another kit with the stuff i wanted in it. so search awaythere is a light of hope in the tunnel you just have to find it. stug

Stevus Khan
pig23
Der Sonntag Bund
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 05:29 AM UTC
If I consider the number of kits I have, taking dust waiting for a hypothetical assembly, then I would certainly make BIG savings using them as a spares box However that may be, my search for russian tires is far from being over. All the russian trucks kits I've seen have US type non-directional tires or big tires like those of the Ural or the BTR 152

Frenchy
 _GOTOTOP