_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Need help with color
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 754 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 03:09 AM UTC
Hi guys

I'm hoping someone on the site can help me. I'm building a Israeli Mutt circa early 80s. I'm having trouble locking down just what color they were. Some pics I've seen show it as being OD, some show it being some shade of tan. So heres my "request" I need to know the color, and if it or somthing close can be found in a rattlecan. {Airbrush dead, long sad story, ex-wife involved] Many thanks in advance.

Harry
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 08:59 AM UTC
Israeli equipment at that time was usually Sand Gray, a color that was actually quite green. It replaced the yellowish desert sand color shortly before the Yom Kippur War in 1973, and has gotten darker over the years. Testors Model Master has it in their line. An Israeli vet I know suggests that equal parts US Olive Drab and US Armor Sand will also produce a decent match.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 09:15 AM UTC
Some people will argue with the fact that the color had a greenish hue. However, I happen to agree with you. There are probably several mixes that will work. Testor's SAC Bomber Tan (which also has a greenish tint to it) cut 1:1 with Header White has always worked for me for that time period. Friends who are definitely in a position to know say it looks as they remember it. Good enough for me.
By the way, Humbrol Khaki Drill duplicates the same color almost exactly.

Hawkeye
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 701 posts
Armorama: 640 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 11:30 PM UTC
Hey Harry,

give this site a go mate, i think they have some very good info there that should help

http://idf-armour-group.org/groupforum/index.php?showtopic=612

Regards from the Swamp

Hawkeye
 _GOTOTOP