_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Strum-Infanteriegeschutz 33
kingcrt
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 118 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 03:48 AM UTC
Does anyone know if someone makes a photo-etch detail set for the Dragon 15cm Strum-infanteriegeschutz 33 kit? Or where I can find any good references for this AFV?
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 04:58 AM UTC
I am sure Eduard makes one....if not, since this one is Pz III (or maybe IV based), so for the lower part, you can use either Aber or Eduard based Pz III/IV for the base....

kingcrt
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 08:12 AM UTC
I have had trouble locating a set for this kit (Dragon 6042) on Eduard's website. I will probaly use a set for pz III, which the chassis is based on. I have tried to include one of the few pictures that I have been able to find. My research has turned up that there were very few of these tanks deployed.

As for reference photos any will do, again this is kind of a rare AFV to model.

[img]https://www.sweb.cz/Tankove_Muzeum/warpics/stuig33_1.jpg]
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 08:41 AM UTC
I just looked thru a few books I have here ..the best info I have found are in Achtung Panzer
# 5 and in Panzer Tracts # 8 Sturmgeschuetz...Hth..

Richard
kingcrt
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 08:55 AM UTC
Thank you everyone for you help. This really gives me a good place to start. I have also found that I can get a Jordi Rubio barrel. Are these any good to use?
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 02:47 PM UTC
I have had trouble locating a set for this kit (Dragon 6042) on Eduard's website. I will probaly use a set for pz III,
I SHOWED YOU THE SET THAT EDUARD MAKES FOR IT.

My research has turned up that there were very few of these tanks deployed.
THERE WAS A TOTAL OF 90 PRODUCED IN 1943 & THEY SAW ACTION ON ALL FRONTS.

- ralph

kingcrt
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 03:35 PM UTC
I SHOWED YOU THE SET THAT EDUARD MAKES FOR IT.
I am not looking for the SIG 33 that was based on the PzKpfw 38(t) chassis, I am looking for the SIG 33 that is based on the pzkpfw III chassis. Check out this link to see a picture of the vehicle that I am talking about.:

http://www.sweb.cz/Tankove_Muzeum/warpics/stuig33_1.jpg

I know I sound crazy but the "Grille" is not the same beast. I appreciate your help.

screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 06:23 PM UTC
Sorry king .......I apologize - my mistake. Sometimes I just need to
slow down a bit .
ahhhhhhhh Here we go. The official designation is Sturminfanteriegeschutz 33B
- 24 produced from Dec.1941 to Oct.1942.
- ARMAMENT ( One 15cm Stu I G L/11 and One MG34 )
I also have some info on this if you need it. ......My humble apologies again.
However here's some info that I think will interest you ......Of the 24 SturmIG33B produced 12 were from StuG Ausf E chassis #'s 90751 - 91036 and 12 were from StuG Ausf F/8 chassis #'s 91401 - 91750

KING - WHO MAKE's THIS MODEL KIT THAT YOU HAVE ? ......ALAN HOBBY ?

REGARDS
- ralph
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 07:54 PM UTC
Ralph, my information states that this Sig33B fought mostly in Stalingrad, and were all destoryed or captured at the end of the battle, is it right?
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2003 - 12:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ralph, my information states that this Sig33B fought mostly in Stalingrad, and were all destoryed or captured at the end of the battle, is it right?

Hi Dave ....... coming from you, then it must be correct. I'm sure you checked it out thoroughly Yes, definitely was in action at Stalingrad. The Sturm sIG33B's were sent to give much needed support to German division's there. We know how things went for Germany though ( a damn shame ! ). I didn't know they were all destroyed & captured.
VERY INTERESTING DAVE ! ........... ( what's up with that Nashorn, buddy ? )

- ralph
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2003 - 06:14 PM UTC
hey guys, beleive it or not ABER makes a nice set for "Sig33" its an unoffical nickname for the tank. you can probably order it online, my local shop in japan has the set for 2000Yen, so its about 15 usd. there are several sets for the different sig 33 mounts so becareful buying them online you have to be sure which one is right. good hunting stug

stevus khan
pig23
keeper of the sty chronicles
Der Sonntage Bund
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2003 - 06:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Dave ....... coming from you, then it must be correct. I'm sure you checked it out thoroughly Yes, definitely was in action at Stalingrad. The Sturm sIG33B's were sent to give much needed support to German division's there. We know how things went for Germany though ( a damn shame ! ). I didn't know they were all destroyed & captured.
VERY INTERESTING DAVE ! ........... ( what's up with that Nashorn, buddy ? )

- ralph

Hi Ralph, thanks for your vote of confidence, I need to go back to check some more and confirm this. I also found this information to be rather interesting when first come across it.

Anyway, I am working on a secret project that will do me justice in the eyes of the Allied builders (they all think I can only do Dunkelgelb or panzergrau...shame on them!!! ) So my nashorn is on a hold, but I shall be able to get back to it shortly.

By the by, I know it's totally off topic, but would you be interested in joining our DSB sty? I think you can make one hell of a pig just as I do.... Oink Oink!

kingcrt
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 03:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

KING - WHO MAKE's THIS MODEL KIT THAT YOU HAVE ? ......ALAN HOBBY ?

Dragon makes this kit. I belive that it is out of production though. Great info on the type of pz III. Pretty much confirms the information that I have. No problem about the type there were several variants called sig 33 all on different chassis.
kingcrt
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 03:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hey guys, beleive it or not ABER makes a nice set for "Sig33"

Thanks, I will look for this detail set.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 03:52 AM UTC
While the barrel of the gun smooths out nicely, if I were to do it again, I'd go with the Jordi Rubio barrel set which uncludes a white metal recoil carriage. I looked at it several times before putting it down at the Nationals last summer.
ariete
Visit this Community
Italy
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 05:20 AM UTC
Hi everybody,
I have myself gathered some info on this lesser known derivative of the Pz. III and in fact while it is correct that the first batch of 12 vehicles (belonging to the Stu.Abt. 177) were all lost before or during the battle for Stalingrad, the second batch of 12 vehicles soldiered on a little longer and was used at the beginning of year 1943 by the 23rd Pz. Div.
The two batches can be distinguished by some hull differencies and were finished differently, the first 12 apparently were all in Panzergrau (there is just one picture that I know) while the other 12 were finished in Sandgelb/Gruen/Braun as can be seen from the picture posted.
I will look back at my notes and will let you know of any additional interesting info.
Regards
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 939 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 07:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi everybody,
I have myself gathered some info on this lesser known derivative of the Pz. III and in fact while it is correct that the first batch of 12 vehicles (belonging to the Stu.Abt. 177) were all lost before or during the battle for Stalingrad, the second batch of 12 vehicles soldiered on a little longer and was used at the beginning of year 1943 by the 23rd Pz. Div.
The two batches can be distinguished by some hull differencies and were finished differently, the first 12 apparently were all in Panzergrau (there is just one picture that I know) while the other 12 were finished in Sandgelb/Gruen/Braun as can be seen from the picture posted.
I will look back at my notes and will let you know of any additional interesting info.
Regards

Hi there

You beat me to the news! I can confirm this information from my references.
The yellow with camo pics seen a lot are after Stalingrad, and represent the last batch of 12 vehicles.

Cheers
Andy
 _GOTOTOP