Hosted by Darren Baker
Arab Buildings
Burik
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,303 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 09:00 PM UTC
Has anybody seen these? Looks interesting. Any comments on accuracy? Would I have to add anything to any of these kits?

http://www.verlinden-productions.com/vp_htm_1801_2400/2288.html

http://www.verlinden-productions.com/vp_htm_1801_2400/2289.html

http://www.verlinden-productions.com/vp_htm_1801_2400/2294.html

http://www.verlinden-productions.com/vp_htm_1801_2400/2296.html

Darn it. I thought I could cut and past the photos.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 09:09 PM UTC
I know which ones you are talking about Bob. I laready pre ordered them from my LHS. The wall with gate will look good with the Airborne Miniatures figures that are knocking down the door.
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
Armorama: 1,423 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 09:13 PM UTC
You can..

These are on my wishlist as well.

Erik

PS To copy a picture from a site, right click on the picture, click properties, Highlight and copy the URL adress, and use the [img] button to get the right HTML in your post. Then paste the URL adress into the usual
img]http://put.url.here/image.file[/img (had to edit a bit to avoid the red x)
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 09:15 PM UTC
I posted something about these about a week ago. They look very good and its nice to see Verlinden doing some more interesting buildings. I want the minaret for a Lebanon diorama. Those dead insurgants look very good for dioramas aswell, better than Warriors one in my opinion, they look better posed. Overall some amazing kits, I look forward to their release.

EPI-where can I get airborne minatures figures from, I know this matter has risen before but ive forgotten where to get em.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 09:17 PM UTC
Missed one. This is supposed to go with the wall kit.

Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 09:22 PM UTC
Rob, since your over seas, you may want to get them straight form Maciej, the sculptor. He is in Poland. Some here has his email but can't remember who. Or you can contact Gray at Colorado Miniatures. I get all my Airborne Miniatures from him here in the states and he gets it directly from Maciej.

Colorado Miniatures

Here is the figures I was talking about to go with the wall if anybody hasn't seen them yet:

Thanks to PMMS, here is a picture of the two kits together in a dio:

OH OH OH, and I have the Bradley almost done for it on the bench, and the Warriors dead insurgents, and I'm getting the Airborne figures from Gra when I come back form AT in the middle of June, and these will be waiting for me too at my LHS. OH I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 09:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

OH OH OH, and I have the Bradley almost done for it on the bench, and the Warriors dead insurgents, and I'm getting the Airborne figures from Gra when I come back form AT in the middle of June, and these will be waiting for me too at my LHS. OH I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!

:-) :-) :-) Ehhh, Pete... Did we have a bit too much coffee today?

However, allready looking forward to see your dio. It will be a beauty for sure.

Cheers
Erik
Burik
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,303 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 10:32 PM UTC
So minarets are completely stand alone buildings as depicted? Even if they are, would another building be really close to it, or would it be surrounded by a wall? I suppose I will have to start studying photos of them, but usually the photos show many, many buildings in the foreground and they are merely in the background, so it is tough to tell what is immediately around them, ie w/in yards of them.

Also, with most building from Verlinden and others, there are usually lots of additions to make like shutters, doors, sills, window frames, gutters, downspouts...
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 10:41 PM UTC
Minarets are usually a part of a Mosque. I can't recall seeing a minaret without a mosque either in Lebanon, Afghanistan, Kosovo or Bosnia. But I am no expert in this area.

Erik
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Armorama: 526 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 10:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Minarets are usually a part of a Mosque. I can't recall seeing a minaret without a mosque either in Lebanon, Afghanistan, Kosovo or Bosnia. But I am no expert in this area.

Erik

As fas as I know this is pretty much correct... minarets are used for calling to prayer, IIRC. So you need them as part of, or near a mosque. They are such an integral part of it that the muslims tended to build minarets next to or as an addition to conquered religious buildings they used for their own use (see Haghia Sophia).

One thing I would be very weary of with both the minaret and mosque like building is the size of the kit. Scaled down to 1:35, a regular minaret would easily be well over 1 ft tall, and I would think most close to 2 ft. And the same with the mosque like building.... Most buildings like that are simply too large to be scaled down to 1:35 for a normal dio...

Just if the top of my had the average medieval town church would start, scaled down to 1:35 at 3 ft in length at the bare minimum.... and 2 ft in height and somewhere between 1 ft and 2 ft in width.... For mosques you easily run into the same problem....
WilliamDeCicco
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 373 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 - 03:13 PM UTC
There was some buildings, I saw awhile back was of like apartment buildings haven't seen anything since does anyone remember them an were I can get them.You could also stake them on top of each other I think also.I would appreciate any help with this.Thanks in advance.

Happy Modeling
Bill
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 - 03:54 PM UTC
Minarets often stand alone in smaller villages. Yes, they are used as a call to prayer, but prayer can take place anywhere. (even, to my dismay, in the middle of bad guy territory by your own militia forces)
Many villages i saw were simply too small to support a mosque, villagers would travel to larger villages or towns that had one, but still needed a minaret in their own village.
 _GOTOTOP