_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Color help 2nd try
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 754 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, May 05, 2006 - 03:11 AM UTC
Hi folks

I'm in a bit of a jam, and could really use some help. I'm building a Israeli Mutt circa early 80s. Can anyone tell me what color they were ? I've seen pics of them in OD, Light Sand, and Dark tan. Were they done in any of these three colors or none of them ? Many thanks in advance.

Harry
CDNTanker25
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 82 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 04:57 AM UTC
you can paint them in either of those colours. Sinai grey is a misnomer as it is really hard to replicate. How I paint my IDF models is by mixing a few colours as I go along. What I do is mix US Marine Sand into Green Drab, and keep adding the sand as I go along. The thing about IDF colours on vehicles is that alot of factors are dependant on the colour you're trying to portray. The direction of the sun and the surroundings will dictate most of the time (along with the weathering the tank has suffered) the colour you see in a pic. I then highlight with US Marine Sand. I hope that helps, you should try the mixtures out before you put them on the model to make sure you're getting the tone YOU"RE looking for.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 05:51 AM UTC
It's an elusive color, as it changes depending upon lighting, weathering, scale effect, film used, etc. In fact, when you originally posted this question, I posted two pics which have an almost edentical shade of this color, yet they look quite different when seen side by side. I took the photos at different times, in different locations. Same thing is happening with these pics you're seeing in your references. I'd stick with the original recommendation.
dedox
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 18 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 04:58 PM UTC
I 've seen this post just today: if of any help I've built myself an IDF Mutt to be at the Lebanon border mid '80.
The colour is "Israeli Gray Sand". Lifecolor, an italian brand, has the specific match. Vallejo has a "stone gray" which I feel to light.
Go to see this: http://idfmodelling.free.fr/article01.html
dedox
 _GOTOTOP