Hosted by Darren Baker
Xenon Searchlight Jeep
dqshistorian
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 07:46 AM UTC
Very few people know of the deployment of Searchlight batteries in Vietnam. All total there were 4 army searchlight batteries: B-29th, G-29th, H-29th, and I-29th Artillery. Each unit contained about 100 men and officers.

They were largely under the operational control of the three M42A1 Duster Battalions, but some units operated outside this configuration.

Anyway, the original deployment of seatchlights to RVN were larger GE carbon arc units but as technology improved, the Xenon lamps and power supplies (typical to some tanks of the era) were mounted on the Ford "Mutt" M-151-A1 jeep. While the lamps shared the same general attachment configuration, each individual jeep had it's own unique set-up. They even had "artwork" on the hood of the jeep and on the protective covers for the lamps.

Here is my first attempt at one such SLT jeep. Some minor detailing still remains.

Basic kits: ACADEMY M-151-A2 w/ trailer 1326 (used trailer and canvas top)
ACADEMY M-151-A1 1323

Salvaged parts: Xenon SLT from M-48 tank (thanks Gary!!)
hand cranks (from Gary)
Scratch built: SLT: support post, bracket, caliper,
Jeep: had to side mount tire, made support and mud flap

I used aluminum foil for the back interior wall of the searchlight.
Since Gary didn't send any glass, I wound up cutting a "glass" lense out of an irridesent clear CD disk. I gave a nice "shimmer" effect when tilted just right. The lamp swivels on it's post and elevates in it's bracket and is connected the hand wheels.

I still have to try and paint the id numbers on the bumpers.

I would say my work is still very crude, but for the SLT vets in my Association, this will be the first SLT model they will have ever seen.

I have no painting skills so don't bother suggesting things.
As I have the largest archive of photos of SLT jeeps (and no two are exactly the same) don't think this is the only way to built one.

For you history buffs, Battery B, 29th Arty SLT was in active service in Vietnam for almost 7 years.

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 08:26 AM UTC
Looks good. Definitely something you don't see every day. Good job. Even though you said no tips, I'm still going to give you one. The canvas top looks too shiny. I would hit it with a spray of some dullcote to tone it down some. Other than that, it looks great. I really like the way the searchlight glass shines and shimmers when the light hits it.
 _GOTOTOP