_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
FAT Ford Progress Pictures
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 05:01 PM UTC
Greetings all

This is really a test run to se if I've cracked the picture thing. However, all constructive comments welcome. Vehicles are awaiting final decal markings.

Lest see if ti works this time!!

Cheers

Al

Later - hei, hei hei - finally
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,183 posts
Armorama: 628 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 05:10 PM UTC
Alan, when you're in Kitmaker, click on the small pic and a larger version will appear. At the bottom of the page, you'll see two boxes withe the pics url in it. On the right, click on the "Copy to Clipboard" box. Then just paste it in your post.

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 05:27 PM UTC
Hi Cary,

Thanks for that, here goes!!

Practice makes perfect???

Cheers

Al
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,183 posts
Armorama: 628 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 09:17 PM UTC
No problem Alan. It took me a while to figure out how to do it too.

Your trucks look good. I like your subtle weathering. One little nitpick though. The chain you have draped around the spare tire looks pretty big compared to the rest of the model. Maybe go with a smaller one, unless of course you used that size for a specific reason.

What model is it? I've never seen one of these before.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 11:29 PM UTC
Hi Carl,

Thanks for the feed back. I've been practicing a few of the tips I picked up on site and trying out some new products.

I know what you mean about the chain size, I need to get a thinner one, yet one more thing to buy! LOL.

Both kits are the Old Tamiya kits that have been around for a long time now. The one with the spare wheel on top is from the FAT & 25pdr kit, the only difference being the gun and spare wheel.

I've change the appearance slightly by cutting out the window support in the door frame and the positioning of the kit either nearer or further away from the door actually changes the perception of the roof/length shape at least when seen side by side it does which was just a fluke.

I think someone mentioned that there is a size issue about the vehicles, being slightly larger than 1/35 but I've never read or see anything more about that. They are a typically Tamiya nice easy build with one or two extra pieces of stowage.

The Tamiya decals are wrong but 'Finderprint design' make excellent decals although being RA vehicles it's a mine field to sort out the right ones. I'm getting some welcome help there from David (Command Post) here on site. However, they have a really neat system for marking each vehicle in a battery so they should look pretty good when complete.

The FAT is for (edit) Field Artillery Tractor, Italeri also make one but with a slightly different cab. The whole RA and vehicle research thing was really, really interesting.

Here's a link back to a previous post when I first started.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/73500&page=1

Finally thanks for you feed back and the advice on the pictures, I think I've got it now - LOL!!

Cheers

Al
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 05:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The FAT is for Ford Artillery Tractor, Italia also make one but with a slightly different cab.
Cheers
Al

F.A.T. stands for Field Artillery Tractor Not Ford Artillery Tractor.

The Tamiya kit is the earlier #12 cab and the Italeri FAT kit is the Canadian Chevrolet type and is also the slightly later #13 cab version. Australia had two different types of the FAT with the same front as the Italeri kit but different from behind the front doors back.

The reason one of these Tamiya kits has no spare wheel is the fact that the early made ones had runflat tyres fitted and did not need to carry a spare. Once production was increased the tyre company could not keep up with demand so ordinary tyres were fitted meaning a spare wheel was also required.

The Tamiya kit is more 1/32 scale then 1/35 and has inaccuracies mainly in the chassis and interior areas. Other then that it is a nice kit even though it is an old one.

Nice work mate.

Cheers
Cliff
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 11:39 AM UTC
Morning Cliff,

Did I type Ford? - Ops. Didn't know about the tyres, more interesting stuff. Had heard about the size issue but it's still a fun build, but that would explain why the figure looks just a little large.

Thanks for you comments, high praise indeed, Do you know anything about how the winch operated Cliff? Did it have steel cable or just a towing rope and did it thread through the pully system in any particular way?

As always thanks for the information and help.

Cheers

Al
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 01:46 PM UTC
Like all winches it had a steel cable and could be fed to the front ( via special clips on the chassis rails) or rear of the vehicle . It had an eyelet at the end so that chains, hooks etc could be fitted with a 'D' shackle.

If you look carefully at the front rollers they have in addition to the horizontal top and bottom rollers, rollers on the side (vertically) as well. They could winch anything up to 90 degrees sideways from the vehicle.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Cliff
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 04:56 PM UTC
Hi Cliff,

Thanks for that.

Cheers