_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Contests
This group is home to our various contests, promotions and drawings.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Dragon AMoM - Heavyarty
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, May 08, 2006 - 03:30 AM UTC
I finished this one up a few days after the April contest and posted it then. Guess I will throw it in the running.

It is an M1A1HC from 11 ACR at Ft Irwin, CA. It is the Commander's tank (HQ 66) from 1st Squadron, 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment, Ironhorse.

It is a DML kit with a few pieces added like APU power connector box and conduit, forward power receptacle next to the manhole cover, and EPLRS antenna. Turret front slope CIPs and all decals were made by me as well. It has a unique color scheme that is only used by the 11th ACR. They are painted this way to represent OPFOR (Opposing Force, ie. enemy) vehicles. A few of their M1A1HCs were deployed to Iraq last year in this scheme as well. Here is one in Iraq.

Here is mine.

More here.

As usual, all comments are welcomed.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Monday, May 08, 2006 - 03:26 PM UTC
ah yes remember seeing the original thread but never got to see the actual photo of the real one. Very good job on the kit overall as per usual.

Looks like you pretty much got it spot on, down to the scratches on the side skirts. If memory serves me right, you built this for the commander that was on the way out? Hope he liked it.

Question around the abrams in general however.....were CIP panels loaded onto only the newer models of abrams or were they placed onto even the older models?
WingTzun
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 853 posts
Armorama: 515 posts
Posted: Monday, May 08, 2006 - 04:14 PM UTC
To Quote Arnold Swarzenegger in Twins. "It's like looking in da mirror". :-)
I liked the 1st time I saw it Gino. Thanks for posting the comparison photo. Good luck on the Dragon AMoM.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, May 08, 2006 - 06:14 PM UTC
Thanks guys.

Quoted Text

Question around the abrams in general however.....were CIP panels loaded onto only the newer models of abrams or were they placed onto even the older models?

The CIP has nothing to do with the age of the tank. They have only recently been seen in OIF because they were developed after ODS ('90-'91) from lessons learned there in friendly fire incidents. They can be fitted to any vehicle, regardless of age.
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Monday, May 08, 2006 - 06:34 PM UTC
Jeremy,
CIPs have been standard equipment on tanks and Brads and other US equipment since the mid-90's... They were probably fielded in 1992 or 1993 to the units in the US, but that is guessing on my part as we did not have them in Germany at the time and I first saw the CIPs when I got to Ft Irwin/NTC in 1994

John
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 04:59 AM UTC
Awesome stuff. Thanks for the info guys.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 10:52 AM UTC
Very good looking model Gino. It's good to see original camo schemes to change from the "standard" tan or NATO ones.
Unfortunately, western modern armor don't get as much inventive camouflage as WWII armor but anyhow I prefer their look. As regard to interesting camo, I think the Russians are the best for the moment with maybe the Chinese too.

To come back to your model, I like the scratches on the skirts, these give a very real look to it. I suspect you depict it in Iraq and not at the NTC as no live simulation equipment seem to be fitted.

Olivier
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 08:40 PM UTC
Thanks Olivier. Yes, it depicts the CDR's tank in Iraq.
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
Armorama: 1,423 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 09:54 PM UTC
Great looking as usual, Gino. Good luck in the Dragon MoM.

Erik
Hawkeye
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 701 posts
Armorama: 640 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 10:05 PM UTC
Very nice looking Abrams Gino, one question about eh pic ofthe real tank,why is there a green swathe on the track guard? Is that just a case they forgot to over spray it?

Regards from the Swamp

Hawkeye
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 10:47 PM UTC
The green portion of the side skirt is a replacement part. All replecement parts come in either sand or green. Guess they ordered the wrong color.
 _GOTOTOP