_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Model Master Acrylics
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 07:05 AM UTC
Hey all....

I just got back into modeling after a 10 yr hiatus, and am ready to paint my BTR-80. I have decided to do it in the NATO 3 color scheme as a unit of the Hungarian Army.....since Hungary recently became a member of NATO...it would stand to be resonalble that the might repaint some of their armored vehicles in this scheme.

I have used Tamiya acrylics and Model Master enamels in the past....btu recently discovered Model Master Acrylics and their many wonderful colors....lol.

I am wondering, do the MM Acrylics thin the same way as the Tamiya ones, using water/alcohol? In the same ratio? Been reading on here that windsheild washer fluid works as well.....any particular kind, ie: does it matter whether its the blue winter or summer kind, or the green and sometimes pink summer kind. We even have a red one that smells like the wax they put on your car at the carwash....has teflon in it to help with the wiper squeaks on the windsheild.....can't think that the teflon would help in the paint though....might hinder the paint from sticking to the model.

Ok...I have gone on more than I needed.....any help would be much appreciated!!!!
dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 485 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 07:48 AM UTC
Yes to all of the above except using the red windshield washer fluid....never used it but it doesn't sound like a good plan.....as for the other types....blue....green....pink....they all work.....whatever is available or personal choice....it's up to you.
MM acrylics need to be well mixed.
Have fun!!!
T-link
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 46 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 02:44 PM UTC
Just got back into modeling myself (17 year hiatus).... From what I've been reading Windex (regular) seems to do the trick very well, you can also use it to clean your AB.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 03:26 PM UTC
Viper two-nine.

Welcome back...

Do you really find that you need to thin MM Acrylics? I haven't had to do so yet. Sprays real nice thru the AB straight-up from the bottle, and mixed (not shaken) well.

I do find that the consistancy does differ a little from bottle to bottle, but have not yet had to thin any. In fact, I think that it's too thin... thinner than the newer formula Polly Scale, and not a good dry-brushing blend. (I save the old bottles for that.)

Nice stuff those acrylics tho. The old Sarge here swears by them.

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Mortars in Miniature
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 03:37 PM UTC
Yes, I know all about the inconsistance and the need to mix them well, of the MM Acrylics, I have a bottle of US Army/Marine Gulf Sand....I probably purchased it about 2-3 months ago...and already the pigment(s) and thinner have mostly separated....and its kind of funny.....didn't know that armored sand paint would have any green in it....as the colors separated, there is a greenish tinge in the bottom, a more creamy color int he middle, and then the water/thinnner on top......no doubt have to mix very well!!!!!!

Would be interesting that the paint is thin enough to paint already.....I have 2 airbrushes here....my old faithful Badger 350, and an el cheapo Testors one.....you know the one that takes the can of air....has all plastic parts, etc, etc....well the testors bottles fit right on to the airbrush....no need to transfer paint.....its just too bad they wouldn't fit the Badger AB....I do have a Armored Sand from Badger.....their bottles do fit their ABs and are pretty much ready to go right out of the bottle with little or no thinning. But it is becoming increasingly harder to find these paints....not sure if Badger stopped producing them or what.

propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
Armorama: 454 posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2003 - 04:31 AM UTC
I use MM acryl Exclusively for airbrushing and never thin. However I find by hand brushing, the thin paint doesnt cover as good as regular enamels
 _GOTOTOP