_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Painting static grass
Favorisio
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 277 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 06:28 AM UTC
I have read many posts about using static grass, and am quite happy to have a go using this material, BUT..... How do you paint it? Can it simply be painted as normal, and drybrushed, without coming away from the surface it is stuck to?

I have some static grass made by Citadel Modelling, the Games Workshop people, has anyone ever used their stuff before?

Cheers

Roger
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 06:35 AM UTC
Roger,
I believe all static grass is pretty much the same, just depends what brand you use.
As far as painting goes, airbrush it differents shades of greens and browns. You can drybruss it too, but be carefull. Do not youe a really stiff brush and gently pick out certain areas.
JPeiper
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 317 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 07:54 AM UTC
I want to echo Epi's comments. I AB directly and you can create some very nice shading and tone effects. Frankly, I have not dry brushed but will give that a try.

I use the german brand (what ever that is...)
Favorisio
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 277 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 08:59 AM UTC
Sadly I don't have an airbrush (yet) and so I'll have to give it a go drybrushing, but I'll be careful! Thanks.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 09:06 AM UTC
One other thing you can try is to pain the grass before hand. Take small amounts and paint each different shades of color and then apply it. You can go back and dry brush with a soft brush later.
dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 485 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 03:21 PM UTC
Wow....I'd hate to try to paint static grass before it's glued down......that's worse than doing 1/72nd scale armour with photo etch!!!
Glue it down....then hand paint it....careful to let the glue dry for a long enough time....and don't overpaint the area as this could make the glue let go if the paint wets it too much.....then dry brush it with different shades of green....yellows and browns.

Still looking at slodder's post and wondering if he means static grass or the long grass products that are out there....I could maybe see trying to paint them before gluing them down....but static grass????
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 10:08 PM UTC
Favorisio

Dry brushing static grass is absolutely no problem and I do it every time and as far as I can go with it I can say it looks good. but you have to keep in mind what colours you use
so look good in your own garden or on bigger fields look for grass where many people just walked over the grass will appear black. so look out for the colours
but give it a try and you will see for yourself

kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 05:03 AM UTC
I find that dry-brushing the SG helps it to 'stand up' some.

Maybe it's just me. #:-)

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Mortars in Miniature
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 05:19 AM UTC
Hey guys-sorry lost track of this thread

What I mean is to take something like an empty paint jar or film canister and fill it with whatever grass color you are looking for. Then take a spoon and fish out a tablespoon full of grass and drop it all in the container. Close the container shake it up a bit. Then pour it out on a towel, let it dry and then use it from there.
Sorry, I re-read my post and went DOH, yea I can see where it would be Pain to paint it all before hand - one blade at a time .
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,250 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 05:52 AM UTC
Hola!

I also paint all my static grasses by hand with good results. I use very diluted acrylics in several coats, then drybush it in 2-3 disserent tones, depending on what season it is. After the first dry brush I add an oil wash of burnt umber, in some cases I use different washes but most often I use burnt umber. Then after this is dry, I proceed with the 2nd and 3rd drybrush. This creates a nice depth in the grass.
 _GOTOTOP