_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Nomex tankers overalls
darreng
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 789 posts
Armorama: 382 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 01:02 AM UTC
Hi guys can anyone tell me if British tankers use the Nomex tank overalls please, TIA?!
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
Armorama: 969 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 01:05 AM UTC
Darren,

Sorry to correct you but that would be 'Tankies' and sorry I dont know as in the 70's it was the old green coveralls and old issue tank suits for the winter.
Mind you knowing the state of mod supply its probably very similar now.

John
maximus8425
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2006 - 02:08 AM UTC
Yes we do get them issued but only on operations. We got tan ones for Iraq but never wore them, far too hot.
PiperDan
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 180 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2006 - 04:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes we do get them issued but only on operations. We got tan ones for Iraq but never wore them, far too hot.

May I ask if you were on the Op Telic 1 or a subsequent deployment? I ask because I have noted a number of pictures of Op Telic 1 where tankies (to use the correct term) wore the tan nomex suits. I'm not doubting your word, rather I'm just trying to learn what was used during which time frame so that when I build my Chally 2 and/or Warrior and/or CVR-T, I can depict the crew wearing the proper kit! As you have actually served in Iraq I would greatly appreciate any further information and/or experience you could share regarding crew clothing.

Thanks and cheers - Dan

darreng
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 789 posts
Armorama: 382 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 12:43 AM UTC
Hi guys, I havn't served in the any of the forces as I am disabled, building models of the vehicles is as close as I get to serving in the military, I'm just asking about the tankies overalls as I want to build an AS90 serving with KFOR, but I don't know if the overalls are in DPM or just plain green!
maximus8425
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 06:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

May I ask if you were on the Op Telic 1 or a subsequent deployment? I ask because I have noted a number of pictures of Op Telic 1 where tankies (to use the correct term) wore the tan nomex suits. I'm not doubting your word, rather I'm just trying to learn what was used during which time frame so that when I build my Chally 2 and/or Warrior and/or CVR-T, I can depict the crew wearing the proper kit! As you have actually served in Iraq I would greatly appreciate any further information and/or experience you could share regarding crew clothing.

Thanks and cheers - Dan

I did Telic 2. On Telic 1 Chally crews wore tan coveralls but they weren't nomex, just a different version of our standard green ones. Warrior and CVR(T) crews wore standard issue desert combats. The nomex covie's were delivered just after the end of hostilities. I can supply you with pics that I took while out there if it would help your build.

Max
PiperDan
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 180 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 09:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I did Telic 2. On Telic 1 Chally crews wore tan coveralls but they weren't nomex, just a different version of our standard green ones. Warrior and CVR(T) crews wore standard issue desert combats. The nomex covie's were delivered just after the end of hostilities. I can supply you with pics that I took while out there if it would help your build.

I would very much like to have a look at your photos - thanks very much for the offer. My email address is [email protected] - I'd contact you offline about this but I can't seem to find your email address in your profile.

Thanks and cheers - Dan
maximus8425
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 02:25 AM UTC
Sorry this took a while but been a little busy lately. A few pics from Iraq, Batus and Egypt of our Scimitars. A point to note, the 2 Scimitars in Egypt were'nt painted desert colours but the dust isn't doing a bad job camouflaging them.

Put the last one in basically cos I like it and the slat armour is shown to good effect.
I do have higher res ones should anyone need them.

Max.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 03:35 AM UTC
Hi Max,

Great images, thanks for posting.

Any chance of getting to see those images of the UNPROFOR Scimitars that were up in Maglaj?
 _GOTOTOP