_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sherman....... the NEW look
M4A1-M4A3
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 06:46 AM UTC
Had a brain storm, I build nothing but shermans, for me a serous habit, building and collecting anything W.W.2 armor related (Sherman)
I would like to build one in its last stage of production, or heading out the door, I have a few photo's of them being built, but nothing on the final stages. I would like to have final inspectors and people eye balling the tank, before it being parked or loaded for transport. I can use any help in that area or any idea of how to set it up.
We have all seen tanks in the field, geared up, bleached out, field work being done, blown, but I think this would be an interesting piece. Thanks to all.
P.S. the DW is still being work on, hopefully as soon as I figure my camera out will post some pictures.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 01:20 PM UTC
I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for, but there are a bunch of Sherman production line photos here: AFV Interiors Sherman Production Line
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 02:25 PM UTC
Not sure if this helps, but it may inspire! I saw a dio lately of a Russian tank sent into battle unpainted. It had still the marking lines, etc. This was an amazing idea. The unpainted metal colours were perfect to show steel slightly oxidised and black in areas where it was welded. Anybody see this dio and remember where it was? Im only sorry I didnt save it myself!
M4A1-M4A3
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 02:27 AM UTC
I want to build this rolling out the door, I have seen that set up with the Russian tank, I have also seen ones done with German armor, but never the Sherman. I know the photot's are out there just need to find them. I talk to a factory worker who use to work on the transmissions and he opened my eye's to a few things that are different fron so called new production shermans and one's that were in the field, especially the paint.
It was good to get a point of view from a person who worked on the tank and yet never used it in combat.
I will fill you in on I guess you can call it a group build, I will leave nothing out on this Sherman but then you will not see the gear, mud, and what not you would see on a tank in combat.
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 06:24 AM UTC
Hey there, Mr. Mitchell, I have been thinking about a similar idea. Mine has a twist; the tank would be rolling off the line driven and guided by women of the factory. Sort of a tribute to Rosie the Riveter, who built most of the things. Anyway...

My impressions are that a brand new tank would have relatively shiny paint, probably a semigloss sheen to it. All the stars would be in the approved places, as well as any other service stenciling. That last bit is tough; like you I haven't found much that shows that stuff in detail. I have Hunnicutt's book, and even that is sparse on just-off-the-line types. Weathering would be utterly nonexistent on the tank itself. No exhaust stains, rust, dirt, mud or the like. And I presume that all tools would be present in the approved official positions. And they would be the same color as the tank--wooden tool handles were painted olive drab originally; only replacements or worn ones should be some sort of "wood" color. Check out vehicles at your local Military vehicle collector's show or museum to see this.

Tracks are a different story. I have heard that steel ones were painted a very dark gray or black; not left bare. Tough call here, though. I saw a film of the M1 Abrams line and the end connectors on brand-new tracks were rusted dull orange; obviously never painted. My own preference here would be to go with a dark gray and some steel highlights on the tread cleats themselves. The sprockets and guide teeth would not have seen enough wear to remove paint. Rubber tread blocks should be pretty black and perhaps slightly shiny; again there hasn't been time or environmental exposure to dull the surface. Same goes for road wheels, too. Oh, and don't forget that the seam down the middle of the wheel can be left, not sanded off. Real ones have a prominent vulcanization seam there.

Oh, and of course no field-expedient additional armor anywhere. Vehicles rebuilt at the factory from an earlier standard as well as certain new ones (check series and date of manufacture) can certainly have the factory plates installed. Lots of kits come with these. But more raggedy ordnance shop versions, no. HTH,

Greg
 _GOTOTOP