_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
styrene
zer0_co0l
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,432 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 08:04 AM UTC
Im making this building from styrene and I got this brilliant tamiya plastic scriber but does that work to cut out the windows...
or how else should I do it
its driving me insane
I actually dont wanna scribe cause : Im affraid I will wreck my ornaments n stuff
and how can I simulate plaster that has fallen of a building and with bricks underneath?

any help would be great
thanx in advance guys...

FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 11:03 PM UTC
Zero

this is what I do:

I don`t use styrene for building but the styrofoam. A blue foam with a very high density
it`s very light stuff and another advantage is that you can scribe in every detail like bricks into it with a pen. after you are satisfied with your scribingjob
you take some wallspackle (vloeibare plamuur) it comes in a tube and you can find it in every DIY shop and is very cheap. Apply this like they do with original plaster on buildings and leave the spots open where you want to show that the plaster has fallen off
her are some pictures to convince you:

I also gove you the link to the MSN album where the whole work of it can be viewed
Distraction Progress Pictures
its a six or seven page album and the complete work that went in to this dio can be viewed

I hope it`s of some help

Glautos
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 14 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 11:37 PM UTC
I use the trays that come with meat at the supermarket. Its a high density foam like mentioned above. Here is a site from someone else who uses the same material.

hope it helps

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/frank_glackin/lst?.dir=/styrene+city+progress&.src=ph&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/frank_glackin/lst?.dir=/Styrene+City&.src=ph&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 11:49 PM UTC
my foam comes from the hospital they cut out molds for artificial knees out of it
I know that you can find in the better DIY shop and that carpenters get it with delivered prefab door and window frames. Also you could ask at a garage because the carbumpers they get are packed with it also you have change that you find it at buildingsites where a variant is used for the isolation of roofs.
also you could try to ask it at a company that lays carpett -floors they use it as the protection layer (first layer, shock absorbing layer)

never have used food trays for it but I know that it`s usefull I`ve heard lots of people that worked with it

zer0_co0l
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,432 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 08:48 AM UTC
thanx faust and glautos

faust? can I glue the styrene strips on the styrofoam?
for the windows n stuff
cause its gonna me a mold for more buildings so it has to be complete n stuff
jdavis
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 09:34 AM UTC
Faust, that is a super cool vignette! I'm stealing your idea even as we speak! Thanks!
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 09:22 PM UTC
Zero

Glueing styrene to the styrofoam is absolutely not a problem as long as you use white glue
don`t use CA or you`ll end up with a boggy mess (read SNOT)(Dutch Joke) you probably know what CA does to foam and the foam starts to melt as soon as it smells the CA

Jdavis first of all welcome on board. thanks for the compliment and I`m glad to inspire people :-) :-)

Paul160
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 102 posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2003 - 03:30 AM UTC
Faust that was a great looking piece. What do you use for snow?? did you make the snipers body??

Cheers,
Paul B.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2003 - 06:01 AM UTC
Paul

Thanks for the compliments on my little vignette that I made for the diorama contest at armorama

The snow that I have in my dio is Baby-powder (talcumpowder) wich I sprinkle just as real snow from above and then spray it with hairspray.
You might do this action (babypowder->hairspray) a couple of times because your hairspray will blow off a lot of babypowder. So repeat it till you are satisfied

The figure was sculpted by myself I only took a righthand , leftarm, head with helmet, gun and boots from the scrapbox. the blanket he is laying under is made out of aluminium foil

The whole dio was a big experiment on how to scratchbuilt as much as possible. The overall cost of this vignette was 2.56 Euro so modelling shouldn`t be expensive :-) :-)

_GOTOTOP