_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Motor types for Willys MB and Dodge 3/4 ton WC 51
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2002 - 05:44 PM UTC
I just got the Tamiya Willys and the Italeri WC 51 dirt cheap. I wanted to do some general detaling for these vehicles...so my question is how many cylinders did each of the motors have??

Any other details you think are lacking, suggestions?
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2002 - 12:16 AM UTC
The WC-51 has a 6-cylinder, in-line, Dodge T-214 liquid cooled engine.

The Willys MB and Ford GP Jeeps have a 4-cylinder, "L"-head liquid cooled engine.

Gunnie
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2002 - 02:18 AM UTC
Gunnie have you made these particular models?? If so what are your thoughts on them?? What did you enhance??
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2002 - 02:52 AM UTC
Silly old me, the photo gallery is full of ref pics

It's like I'm a newbie at Armorama
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2002 - 03:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunnie have you made these particular models?? If so what are your thoughts on them?? What did you enhance??

Well, Tamiya's Willys MB is a wonderful kit. My build up is here in the Gallery. It really benefits from tiny additional details to make it a show-stopper. Basic engine and engine compartment wiring, fuel lines, brake lines, tire air valve stems, and nut / bolt details that are missing go a long way on the final miniature.

I've also built Italeri's WC-51. That model needed all of the above - plus a lot of patience and references to replace and add missing details. Before the Skybow kit came along, this was the considered a fine model, just calls for a lot of dedicated clean-up and detailing to bring it up to today's standard because those molds are pretty old. I built this model into a miniature that's won three Best of Show Awards - and I didn't consider it an extraordinary effort to get together. However good in it's day, the Italeri WC-51 (and other WC series vehicles) just don't stand up to the Skybow toolings comparing what you get right out of the box.

But, just like the Italeri Willys Jeep, the WC-51 is still worth building and keeping around - especially if you get one at a good price

Gunnie
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2002 - 03:20 AM UTC
Thanks Gunnie,

I am noticing that I haven't payed all that much attention to everything that is the gallery!!

I'm going to build these over easter as I am heading north to hit the slopes!! Thanks again for sharing your experience!
 _GOTOTOP