Well I was wrong.
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 602 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 01:58 AM UTC
I have been converted.

I was one of the people who at first thought that Tamiya's foray into quarter scale was a big big mistake. Like many others I was all hostile to the idea of trying it and said I wouldn't be swayed from my 35th scale kits.

Well I was sooo wrong. These kits have made modeling fun again for me. I have been stuck in a major rut for a while now mainly cause I am a new dad and have very little time these days.

I just have found it really hard to get motivated to build much the last while. The new Dragon kits are great but they are so complex I just couldn't be bothered.

I saw on here somebody mention to another modeler who was in a funk that he should try a 48th scale kit to back in the swing of things. So the next day I picked up the Tamiya Tiger.

I have had a real blast building this thing. For myself right now its the perfect balance between detail and size. They go together simply and have made the hobby fun again. I don't feel like I have to buy AM parts of detail the heck out of them. I have just been building OOB. In less then a week I have almost built the whole thing and have already bought the Panther and PZ III ausf L kits to be built when I finish the Tiger. I am really looking forward to seeing where this scale goes.

I will still build 35th scale stuff but right now I am having alot of fun. I feel like when i first started building kits when I was 15.

I can see myself getting rid of a part of my 35th scale stash to focus more on this scale.

Who would have thunk it?

Cheers

Jeff
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,299 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 02:09 AM UTC
Hey Jeff:

Glad to hear that u are having fun. As soon as it stops being fun, then it isnt worth doing anymore.
Keep it up.

SkateOrDie
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 747 posts
Armorama: 301 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 02:11 AM UTC
I still belive all they are good for is with O scale trains plastic army men.
but I don't really beleive tamiyas 1/48 move is bad.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 02:26 AM UTC
I made that move in 1975 when I had been building 35th scale for only a year. friend introduced me to the Bandai stuff which in it's day was pretty top notch. For $4 - 5 a kit it was wonderful. I discovered after a yar into it that it was extremely limited in selection. I then migrated over to 48th scale aircraft., then 25th scale cars. Then all over board. In late 90's I came back to 35th when I picked up Tony Greenlands book on German armor. I've still got a hge stash includeing some of the original Bandai kits, so I have a feeling that one day I'll pick up a 48th kit or two of something I don't have.

NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN !!!
Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Armorama: 1,023 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 02:44 AM UTC
I'd gladly venture into the 48th scale as the kits are just smaller and I have limited shelf space, but why are they so darn expensive? I can have at least two latest 72nd scale kits for the price of one 48th Tammy which in my country cost only some 3 to 6 $ less than the newer 35th Dragon kits.
So if they only were cheaper, they'd just have one new customer...

Pedro
wingsntreads
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 174 posts
Armorama: 123 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 03:59 AM UTC
Just got back from Scalefest in Texas this weekend and I can say 1/48 scale is beginning to gain popularity. I sold more 1/48 scale kits and conversion sets than any other scale. There were some fine kits entered in the contest in 1/48 scale as well. Best Axis Multi colored tank was won by a Skybow Tiger competeing against 1/35 and 1/48 in the same cat.
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
Armorama: 969 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 04:33 AM UTC
Well Jeff there you go, you enjoyed building a different scale and dont feel that you have moved over to the dark side, just found a welcome expansion to our hobby and they're nice looking too. I just wish that people who still seem to have a bee in their bonnet, would just try one, then they can speak from experience.

John
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 05:43 AM UTC
Small scales are fun and Tamiya has done a nice job with thiers.

Glad you tried it.
WhistlerOne
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 120 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 05:58 AM UTC
Rah Rah scalefest Winston!

Did you make to Squadron's open house?

Steve

Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 08:12 AM UTC
Hi Jeff,

Tha greatest advantage to building 48th scale armour, is all the experience you will gain from spending much more of your hobby time painting. A 35th scale Dragon kit could take you 20 to 40 hrs in building time alone, where as the Tamiya 48th line tops out at 5 to 6 hrs. That equates to a heck of a lot more time in the paint booth!

Frank
wingsntreads
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 174 posts
Armorama: 123 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 07:53 PM UTC
Steve,

Didn't have a chance to get there. I did drop some samples of LionMarc and Skybow off with thier reps at the show. Hopefully if we can get a larger company to start brining in Skybow it will help get name recognition up. Great show I hope to make it again next year.
WhistlerOne
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 120 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 08:39 PM UTC
Winston

You will have to put that stop on your schedule for next year. It's a real treat to see all that stuff under one roof. I spent hours going up and down each aisle and still didn't get to see everything.

Better luck next year,

Steve

ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 09:09 PM UTC
I did not have as enjoyable an experience with 1/48 as you did although mine was an aircraft rather than armor. It was just too darn small
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 602 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 10:16 PM UTC
Thanks for all that responded.

Quoted Text

Glad to hear that u are having fun. As soon as it stops being fun, then it isnt worth doing anymore.
Keep it up.

Brian that is so true. It was just after working all day, cutting the lawn and entertaining a 3 month old (i know that gonna only get crazier!) I was didn't have the time to or energy to dive into say my DML PZ IV E kit. I think after a couple of these 48 scale kits I will be ready to get into something more complicated.

Frank

I have to say that alot of the inspiration to build a new scale came from seeing the pictures of your work. Its outstanding! Its really inspired me and I have learned alot from just studying the pictures.

Quoted Text

I just wish that people who still seem to have a bee in their bonnet, would just try one, then they can speak from experience.

So true John. I don't see this scale threatening 35th scale modeling. I am glad I tried it. I think it will compliment my 35th scale stuff quite nicely. I am looking forward to building that new Char B Tamiya is bringing out. Would love to see that in 48th scale too!

Have a good one everybody. Off to finish that Tiger!

Jeff

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 10:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I just wish that people who still seem to have a bee in their bonnet, would just try one, then they can speak from experience.

Heck, I'd be happy if they just stopped bad mouthing the scale.
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 11:39 PM UTC
Thanks Jeff, for the compliment, it gives me inspiration to keep building, knowing that my work helps to somehow motivate others. How about posting a photo of your new-born?!? It be nice to see the little Kolfschoten.

Frank
Neo
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 916 posts
Armorama: 758 posts
Posted: Monday, May 22, 2006 - 02:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jeff,

Tha greatest advantage to building 48th scale armour, is all the experience you will gain from spending much more of your hobby time painting. A 35th scale Dragon kit could take you 20 to 40 hrs in building time alone, where as the Tamiya 48th line tops out at 5 to 6 hrs. That equates to a heck of a lot more time in the paint booth!

Frank

I guess I'm slow, I've got about 80hrs into my Tamiya 1/48 Hetzer and I'm still not finished (but I'm having a great time).
E23C
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 238 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 08:20 AM UTC
I just finished the Tamiya 1/48th M4A1 Sherman and it was a very nice build.
Gotta get more folks trying the 1/48th kits they are gems.

Mark
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 09:02 AM UTC
When I was younger, 1/48 scale Aurora armor kits were the only ones available and aimed towards kids my age.

Even the old Bandai range had some nice little kits. The first one I built was the T-34/76. I built it in the 80s and thought it was a well engineered kit.
E23C
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 06:15 PM UTC
I seem to remember a Churchill Tank in 1/48th which had as far as I can remember a partial interior.Was this a Bandai kit? Somehow this sticks in my memory from the mid 1970s.

Mark
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 07:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I seem to remember a Churchill Tank in 1/48th which had as far as I can remember a partial interior.Was this a Bandai kit? Somehow this sticks in my memory from the mid 1970s.

Aurora did a Churchill III (dates from the mid 60's). It had no interior and as far as I know was the only 1/48 Churchill available until a company called The Armoured Division did an expensive white metal kit in the late 90's (actually made for them by Hart Models).
E23C
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 06:53 PM UTC
Prehaps it was the Aurora Kit and the interior part is my faulty memory.I wish I had hung on to all those kits I had long ago.

Thanks

Mark
 _GOTOTOP