Battle of 73 Easting
Merkava
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 04:18 PM UTC
Hi all,

Well, I'm getting back into modeling hot and heavy after about 4 years off (new babies have a tendency to take up a lot of free time), and I’m thinking of attempting a diorama depicting the battle of 73 Easting during the gulf war. My initial concept is to include a M1A1 Abrams, a M3A2 Bradley (if I can find a kit), and a sabot hit T72. The following print is my inspiration:

http://www.military-art.com/dhm1194.htm

I’m looking for any reference material that shows the proper makings for both the US vehicles and for the Iraqi T72. I've been able to locate photos of some burned out T72's but I can't make out any markings.

Any help or advice is appreciated!

Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
Armorama: 377 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 04:57 PM UTC
Well first off Welcome to the best modelling web site ever!

Heres the most important question for you Merkava:
What scale are you going to use?
Tamiya makes a 1/35 scale M2A2 yet Im not quite sure on a M3A2 on the market in that scale.Also Revell/Germany makes a M3A2 in 1/72 and it somes in Desert Storm markings but I dont think they are correct.

For markings what you are going to look for is decals of the US 2nd and 3rd Squadrons of the 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment,plus Iraqi 18th Mechanized and 37th Armored Brigades .For a account of the battle heres a link:
http://www.efreedomnews.com/News%20Archive/Iraq/SpecialReportWaronIraq/SR5b73Eastings.htm
Good luck!
Merkava
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 05:09 PM UTC
Sorry bout that,

I plan on using 1/35 scale. I've recently ordered the Tamiya M1A1 kit (without minesweeper) and the Tamiya T72M1 kit (my local hobby shops didn't have them in stock). I haven't seen a M3A2 Bradley kit in 1/35 yet but the M2A2 kit may do. I'm trying to learn more about the exact units (numbers, ect.) within the 2nd used in that battle using the internet but I haven’t been able to locate any specifics.

Thanks for the link, Ill check it out.
merkava8
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 501 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 05:34 PM UTC
Some good site for pictures and info on , like every countries weapons out there is www.fas.org and www.globalsecurity.org

These are good sites.

Nice to see another Merkava out there. Welcome to an excellent site.
Delta42
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 616 posts
Armorama: 511 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 06:08 PM UTC
Merkava,

Unless you are going to show the interior of the M3A2 you should be able to use the Tamiya M2A2. Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the exterior of the two are almost exactly the same. If you plan an interior, then the interior from the Tamiya M3 would be a good start for scratch building. There may even be an after market interior kit out there somewhere. Good luck.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 12:06 AM UTC
Externally, the M2A2 and M3A2 are very similar. The only noticeable difference is the bumper markings and on the cargo ramp and rear door hatch. The M3A2 does not have the two firing ports (one on hatch and one on ramp) and the M2A2 does.
Merkava
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2003 - 05:45 AM UTC
Thanks everyone for all the feedback!

Oh, and merkava8, I SWEAR I didn't intentionally try to copy your callsign!!! :-) The Tamiya Israeli Merkava Main Battle Tank was my first serious attempt at building a AFV. I liked the name and used it as my email and username on and off years ago. Figured this was a good site to go back to it!
 _GOTOTOP