_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Modern Armor Campaign: Warrior in Bosnia
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 03:53 PM UTC
Dear All
Finally before going away for business i submit my contribution 99 % finish (missing the antenna) and some painting on the tools

My Warrior in Bosnia
Really really hard to paint an AFV in white first and last time.

Cheers Seb

Tomek_K
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Dolnoslaskie, Poland
KitMaker: 150 posts
Armorama: 131 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 12:02 AM UTC
Nice looking Warrior you've done Sebastien.
And your trees looks very realistic.
I like vehicles in white and maybe some day I have the courage to build one.
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 02:51 AM UTC
Well Tomek
I need to be honest with all of you
trees are bonzais trees that died during the winter
because i'm a bonzai freek i keep the one that died for the dio
best tree ever are the real one
cheers
seb
dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
KitMaker: 1,569 posts
Armorama: 1,385 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 03:58 AM UTC
That Warrior looks good Seb, agree in painting wehicles in white, itīs hard to get the right look in that colour.

Cheers
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 04:01 AM UTC
Lovely job mate.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 04:32 AM UTC
Great job buddy. Can see that it can be hard painting a kit thats meant to be entirely white in colour.

Does anyone know what colour to use when applying a wash to kits that are white in colour?

Great job on completing the campaign however.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 06:12 AM UTC
Hello Seb,
Good for you for finishing your UN Warrior. I agree that a white painted vehicle is hard to weather. Having very good reference images and being willing to experiment are two of the required pieces.

I try to use the same basics for painting white vehicles as painting any single colour...neutral base colour, then pre-shading, then base colour, then initial airbrush weathering to add dust and dirt and fade the base colour from the ground upwards, then a pin point wash, then dry brushing, then pigments and pastels. Of course details need to be painted, paint chipping, scuff and wear marks, and optics need all to be added.

I noticed that you did not mount the add-on armour to the sides or glacis plate. All of the Warriors I saw in Bosnia had the armour mounted. Any reason for not mounting the armour?

You should give it another try on a white UN vehicle. They are unique and there's lots of subjects to choose from.
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 02:45 PM UTC
Dear All
Thanks for the kind comment
Well concerning the painting i did 2 times
1- Preshading in Nato green and then White but i was able to see the green pattern
i was not happy with the result i decide to remove everything
2- Completly white no base coat.
then paint chipping in nato green.
Wash with black very very dilute 5-95 thinner.
Dry brush with a normal pencil to give a metalic aspect on the edge and some dots of Smoke for the grease and oil traces.
But really really hard to have a good result and i'm not happy yet with the result

I will probably an other UN AFV in the future

@ Jason, i did not use the Add-on armour because i wanted to depict the Warrior exaclty like the one in the BBC movie i did post a question on armour or not in UN service before here.

Cheers
Seb
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2006 - 09:07 AM UTC
I was actually going to say that the only Warriors I have seen in white without the add-on armour were in the 1999 BBC TV movie "Warriors".

I remember you posting the question. So that makes your Warrior accurate for the made for the TV movie but not for real life in Bosnia.
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2006 - 02:11 PM UTC
Dear Jason
Concerning the Add-armour, we allready discussed that here and in 1992-93 Warrior were not fitted with add armour in UN service, there is thread with picture

With or With out Add-on Armour

not really clear

cheers
seb
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
Armorama: 1,423 posts
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2006 - 02:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

in 1992-93 Warrior were not fitted with add armour in UN service, there is thread with picture

???

I might have missed something, but all the pictures and posts by the members shows UN Warriors with add-on armour. To my knowledge Warriors have never been deployed on a combat/UN mission without add-on armour. Due to peacetime- and road regulations the extra armour is removed when the vehicles are stationed in UK or Germany. But then again, I might have missed something...

Erik
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 08:06 AM UTC
It seems really clear to me. All of the links provided show the UNPROFOR Warriors deployed to Bosnia with the add-on armour.

The movie "Warriors" was not filmed in Bosnia. It is not accurate as the Warriors do not have the add-on armour. The movie is good inspiration for your project but not technically accurate....the movie was filmed in the Czech Republic in 1999...sorry if you didn't know that.
 _GOTOTOP